Help

Retired Teachers

Vietnam series?

>

BioAdoptMom3

Vietnam series?
Old 09-26-2017, 07:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Is anyone watching? DH has been watching since it started and I watched with him for the first time last night and tonight. I was in elementary school in the mid to late 60s so don't remember much of what was going on in the news until it was nearing its end. It is fascinating and the parallels with what is going on right now are mind blowing! History truly does repeat itself or so it seems!

Nancy

BioAdoptMom3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Vietnam
Old 09-27-2017, 04:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have been watching it as well and had the same experience. A bit too young to remember all of it.

My best male friend was there and now suffers a bit from PTSD. When we were dating 40 years ago, I lived through a few of his nightmares. He talked a bit about it. He was wounded twice during one of those sniper attacks.

After watching several episodes, I have a better understanding of the horror and futility of the entire endeavor.
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

juliet4

Vietnam
Old 09-27-2017, 04:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Heartbreaking. If you know the history behind it, the realization of the lives and resources wasted is monumental. Bioadoptmom3 - you are so right about the parellels with present day futile military struggles all over the world. Imagine if we had all those resources to rebuilt infrastructure in Texas, Florida and Puerto Rico? The series is well worth your time if you have not seen it. We have been glued to tv every night. The music is fantastic and brings back memories as well!
juliet4 is offline   Reply With Quote

NatureLvr

Old 09-27-2017, 05:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I have also been watching it and it is fascinating. I am too young to remember much about this period, but I do remember the riots in a nearby city when King was assassinated, Nixon announcing the US was pulling troops out of Vietnam, and Nixon's resignation.

I have always been interested in history, particularly military history, and I was excited when I heard Ken Burns was doing this series. If you have never seen his series about the Civil War and World War 1, I highly recommend them.
NatureLvr is offline   Reply With Quote

blueskies96

Old 09-27-2017, 05:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

It's awesome they did this. I remember very well, I was very young but I was a news junkie early.

I remember very plainly asking my parents to explain to me what the shooting was about. I could sense their helplessness when they couldn't find words because the reasons we're so fuzzy even to people who studied it.

I also remember watching the draft numbers scroll across the screen. I had a brother and seven cousins who were the age to be drafted. We all were so glad when their birthdays did not show up on our tv screen.

blueskies96 is offline   Reply With Quote

mhugs

Vietnam
Old 09-27-2017, 06:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

We were watching the series and found the background very interesting. Then it got to 1968 and it got to real for us a bit too intense and decided we couldn't watch it night after night. Those were our friends and neighbors flying those helicopters. The jet my husband worked on was flying out of Thailand. The news we got on the networks was not the real war.
I will never forget the 5 year old girl coming into Sunday School and sharing "My daddy broke both his arms and both his legs. We need to pray for him." The adult version was his copter crashed as he was rescuing wounded and his life was hanging on by a thread. He did survive but his life was changed forever.

Our PBS is running the series next month one episode a week and we will watch the rest that way.
mhugs is online now   Reply With Quote

GlacierRose

Old 09-27-2017, 07:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I watch very little tv and didn't want to commit to so many hours for so many days, but I feel like it's something I should watch. I may try to catch it when it airs again, or eventually get the dvd from the library. I know very little about it, compared to my knowledge of the Civil War, WWII, and even WWI. I was in grade school in the 70s, and it was probably regularly covered on the tv news which was on during dinner most nights, but like most kids I didn't pay much attention to the news and my parents didn't discuss it during dinner.

Quote:
Our PBS is running the series next month one episode a week and we will watch the rest that way.
This would work well for me--maybe my local station will do the same.
GlacierRose is online now   Reply With Quote