Retired Teachers

Signed dh up for social security today

>

lisa53

Signed dh up for social security today
Old 09-29-2017, 11:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

We are feeling old!

Because dh is ill with some sort of cancer, we are trying to be pro-active about income. He works part time and earns about 25% of our total income. (The rest is my pension). If he is unable to work, we will just barely be able to pay our bills, and will need to be on austerity measures. His social security will be about 75% of his current income, and he is earning below the threshold where they deduct a dollar for every two he earns...so it really will be security for us to have that income. If he is able to continue to work, we will just put it away for a rainy day. If he has to cut his hours or stop working, we will be OK (and then he may be able to get disability, although I understand that can be a lengthy process).

The application process was surprisingly simple, but he was unable to set up a mySocialSecurity account because our credit accounts are frozen due to the Equifax breach. I guess we will have to drive 60 miles to the so-called local office to prove he is who he says he is to get that account set up--but it was no problem at all getting the payments started. Very strange...

We are telling our kids the situation on Sunday, so until we notify them, I am reluctant to discuss anything with local yokels. I am so glad PT is here so I can think out loud about this stuff.

Thank you all for listening!

lisa53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Cassyree

Old 09-29-2017, 11:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I am sorry about your husband's illness. I may be wrong, but I thought you couldn't collect both SS and disability at the same time. Please check since you're making financial decisions.
Cassyree is online now   Reply With Quote

connieg

Old 09-29-2017, 11:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Be proud that you are making wise choices about these important things. I found signing up for SS and Medicare surprisingly easy to do online. Not sure I'd feel that way if I had to go face to face at their office.
connieg is offline   Reply With Quote

lisa53

Cassyree
Old 09-29-2017, 12:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I think you get one or the other, but disability would be more. He doesn't qualify at the moment, but may in the future.

BioAdoptMom3

Old 09-29-2017, 12:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I am very sorry about your husband's diagnosis. I am glad you all are being financially proactive. This sounds like a very good decision.

Please know that you are both in my prayers! (((HUGS)))

Nancy

BioAdoptMom3 is offline   Reply With Quote

lisa53

connieg
Old 09-29-2017, 12:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

My sister died in December with no will, even though she had been quite ill from cancer for a couple of years. Unbelievable! And worse, a few months later, her dh died...still no will. So the kids had to figure everything out. We are determined to make it as simple for me and the kids as we can, when the time comes. My mother set a great example. I hope I can do as well as she did.

Renea

Double whammy...
Old 09-29-2017, 01:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

You have had a double whammy that so many people experience. Illness and the financial pressure that illness creates is frightening. Lisa53, you are so level headed in handling so many things and sound calm in this situation. I have a feeling that you don't feel so cool and collected. Trust your history of solid decision making and know that you're on the right track. When you can share this with your children and the "local yokels" you should feel more support and understanding. You'll have friends who want to help you.. let them.
Renea is online now   Reply With Quote

lisa53

Old 09-29-2017, 02:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Another thing I am happy about is my decision to try Blue Apron. I think it will make meal planning so much simpler, and keep the problem of having lots of excess food in the fridge down. Dh has little appetite right now, so I will probably get lunch leftovers from some of the meals. But really, it is great to not have to think up dinner ideas right now. It may get too costly at some point, but for now I think the extra cost is going to be worth it.

mhugs

Social Security
Old 09-29-2017, 03:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I'm sorry to hear about your husband's illness. Think you are making some wise decisions for the future and I hope your kids take the news okay. You live in an amazing community and I'm sure you will lots of support from your friends. Let us know how you like the Blue Apron meals.
mhugs is offline   Reply With Quote

readbooks

What would we do
Old 09-29-2017, 04:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Without each other. This is such a wonderful place to share our sorrows and our joys, our hopes and fears.I'm so sorry to hear about your DH. Glad there were all these caring ears to listen. Thoughts and prayers are going out to you and your family.

Last edited by readbooks; 09-30-2017 at 06:13 AM..
readbooks is offline   Reply With Quote

marguerite2

Old 09-29-2017, 06:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

My understanding is that you can get either regular social security or disability also. And I believe disability converts to retirement when you reach full retirement age.

http://www.disability-benefits-help....-retirement-65

One advantage to disability is that if you are under 65 after two years you can get Medicare. So depending on your husband's age applying now for disability can be advantageous as your date of entitlement is five months from filing.

http://www.disability-benefits-help....-to-disability

Filing for disability is not always an arduous process. If you think he is eligible to file for disability do it.
marguerite2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Daydreamr

Old 09-29-2017, 08:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Just wanted to add my prayers for your husband's health, and for strength and wisdom as you go through this together. I'm glad he's eligible for Social Security.
Daydreamr is offline   Reply With Quote

lisa53

marguerite2
Old 09-30-2017, 01:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I don't believe he will be eligible for disability till we get a better diagnosis....and he will be eligible for Medicare in any case in 18 months. Based on your links, though, we should probably declare our intent to file. I had planned to wait till we got a more complete diagnosis, but we should probably do it now. Thank you!

amiga13

Old 09-30-2017, 05:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Lisa, I've been thinking about you nonstop. You are indeed wise to sign up for a meal plan that will help you. I know you're frugal like me, but this is a time to spend your hard-earned savings to make life a little easier. If the meal plan is a help to you, do it without compunction.

When my DH was diagnosed with cancer and dementia 15 months ago, our lives changed. He began home hospice and I am his primary caregiver, but because he can't be left alone, I made the very expensive decision to hire daily caregivers for a few morning hours so I can walk and run errands. Caregiving is extremely demanding, a 24 hour a day job, and this time has been a lifesaver for me. My DH is a picky eater and I didn't mind cooking his meals (he has recently pretty much stopped eating), but I did hire housecleaners. They are also ridiculously expensive, but they have been a Godsend for me.

Finally, remember that as they learn of your DH's diagnosis, your friends and neighbors will be showering you with meals.

I wish you peace and happiness. You will find this is a time of sadness, but you will be surprised to find great joy in the love you share with your DH.
amiga13 is online now   Reply With Quote

blueskies96

Old 09-30-2017, 04:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I do think you should apply for disability now, as it takes time, and you can get the process started.

In my case, when I reach Social security age, my checks will remain the same amount. Much less than if I had not filed for disability. But I didn't have much choice. The system is saving money on me.
blueskies96 is offline   Reply With Quote

lots2do

Old 10-03-2017, 06:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I don't have any advice on the SS or disability situations but wanted to send you my very best wishes as you face his illness together. The meal delivery sounds like a good idea to help you out. I'd consider it something to look forward to, as well.
lots2do is offline   Reply With Quote