Help

Retired Teachers

Goodbye to retirement...again

>

spedder1

Goodbye to retirement...again
Old 10-03-2017, 04:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Last year, after my horrible experience as a .5 teacher for 5 1/2 months, I said I wouldn't do another long term job ever again. I did not expect openings in my old classroom. I was hired to start the school year in a long term position in my old classroom. They did hire someone to start the first day, so I went in and attempted to help/mentor. There was also a new teacher in the other self-contained classroom. I gave her as much time as I could in those 2 days, too. I really needed to spend more time with both new teachers. Well, a week and a half ago, my special ed supervisor from my old school started telling me there might be a need for a long term sub in one of the self-contained classrooms in the district, but couldn't go into details as it wasn't a certainty. Later on in the day she told me it was a certainty. I told her I wasn't comfortable in the primary classrooms as I was on my feet and in constant motion with the little ones. I have a neuroma in my left foot that needs to be removed (at least that's my diagnosis), and it really hurts to walk. She then told me it was an Intermediate classroom. I told her I'd have to think about it because, if it was in an autism room there would be a lot of up on my feet and running stuff, too, but I would be more apt to take an Intermediate job. That's when she slipped and said the principal's name. It's my old classroom. I start tomorrow. I got a wonderful report from the orthopedic surgeon who did my knee replacement a year ago and he said to go for it. I have the new Morning Meeting put together. I cannot access the curriculum, but want to make the room center-based and want to get para input and do para training for 2 new paras. One started at the beginning of the year. The new one started last week. Both are amazing according to people I've talked with. So, this week will be a transition week. Next week we go at it full tilt. I am hoping they hire someone very soon and give me an entire week to train them by modeling first, then slowly turning over the reigns. I did that 2 years ago and the teacher was much more comfortable taking over and making the program her own.
Wish me luck...again.
Kathy

spedder1 is online now   Reply With Quote

BioAdoptMom3

Old 10-03-2017, 07:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Good luck you glutton for punishment!

Nancy
BioAdoptMom3 is offline   Reply With Quote

teach61

Goodness!
Old 10-03-2017, 07:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Best of luck to you!!
teach61 is offline   Reply With Quote

travelingfar

Long Term Subbing
Old 10-04-2017, 02:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I hope things go well. How long is this long term assignment?
travelingfar is offline   Reply With Quote

spedder1

travelingfar
Old 10-04-2017, 01:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

The position is vacant, so it will be until they can hire a new teacher. They are screening much better this time around. I have 91 days left I can sub this school year. I have decided to deal with Social Security later if they say I have to pay money back. These students have not had curriculum for 5 weeks. The paras have been wonderful, but they have no access to curriculum or IEPs. Tonight I am redoing the schedule. Tomorrow we are all going to work on rearranging the classroom to get centers going. I'm trying to open it up so that I can get the therapy swing installed and use that with a couple of students who would benefit from movement breaks. I have to say I am in my comfort zone in that room. The assistive tech/AAC person came in today and is going to be getting me more tech. I am so excited to get this room up and running and ready for a new teacher, but mostly for the poor students who have been languishing in that room.
Kathy

spedder1 is online now   Reply With Quote

rusty

Old 10-04-2017, 02:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

You are amazing! Good luck with your job....these kids are so lucky to have you. So glad to hear how well your new knee is doing and here's hoping that left foot pain stays away, too!
rusty is online now   Reply With Quote

travelingfar

Old 10-04-2017, 04:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I hope all goes well. They are lucky to have you doing the long term job.
travelingfar is offline   Reply With Quote

caseycat

cat
Old 10-05-2017, 10:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

So happy you are back in your comfort zone. You will never stay retired until they make you
caseycat is offline   Reply With Quote

lots2do

Wow!
Old 10-05-2017, 11:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

They are really lucky that you are willing to come back and so dedicated to do your best for all involved. Good luck and I hope they find a great person for you to mentor. What happened to the person you trained two years ago?
lots2do is offline   Reply With Quote

broomrider

I'm sure you've checked
Old 10-05-2017, 11:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

The social security website to know your monthly earnings limit so you can put aside the 50% tax penalty. Don't forget you also have to pay regular income tax on the total. We had some friends have a problem with this.
The "nice" thing is most places don't pay subs enough to really create a big problem with the penalty.
I'm sure your students, parents, aides, and administrators will welcome you with huge smiles and much relief.

broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote

broomrider

I'm sure you've checked
Old 10-05-2017, 11:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

The social security website to know your monthly earnings limit so you can put aside the 50% tax penalty. Don't forget you also have to pay regular income tax on the total. We had some friends have a problem with this.
The "nice" thing is most places don't pay subs enough to really create a big problem with the penalty.
I'm sure your students, parents, aides, and administrators will welcome you with huge smiles and much relief.
broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote

teachwonder

Old 10-06-2017, 08:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Spedder - Congratulations! I am so happy for you and for those blessed, lucky students. You have such a passion and care so much. You are the type of person that gives teachers a fabulous name and image!
teachwonder is offline   Reply With Quote