Help

Substitute Teachers

Senior Skip Day

>

Bobbies

Senior Skip Day
Old 03-06-2020, 04:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I had a good day at one of our bad high schools for a change as it was senior skip day. Turned out, I picked a class that housed mostly seniors. Such an easy day when there is 4 students in the room. Btw, why do schools tolerate this behavior? It is not a school-approved absence either!

Bobbies is offline   Reply With Quote

bodhimom

Old 03-06-2020, 07:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I've never heard of it.
bodhimom is offline   Reply With Quote

mooba1

Old 03-06-2020, 07:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Senior Skip Day, a classic! I didn’t know they still did that, but boy, did we have a great time when it was our turn. Everyone went down to the lake and spent the day hanging out.

The school district knew it, didn’t condone it, but looked the other way. Not much you can do when almost all of the senior class skips.

Good for you for winning the sub lottery. It doesn’t happen very often.
mooba1 is offline   Reply With Quote

GoodEnough85

We did that back in the day...
Old 03-07-2020, 06:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

but waited a little while in the year so it was warmer out.

We tended to go to the lake that day so this is way too early for us.

It was unofficially official. Everyone knew in advance but no efforts were made to stop it. All the absences without a parent note were unexcused.

Later, they did try to establish an official Sr Skip Day but that took all the fun out of it and was poorly attended. It didn't last more than a couple years.
GoodEnough85 is offline   Reply With Quote

YayaSub

Old 03-07-2020, 07:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I forgot about Senior Skip day. There is a nationally publicized event in my area every May. So the timing was perfect since it was warm and close to graduation. For the record, I did not participate in it. It was mainly the "party crowd" of my class who went. The consequence to them the next day was to line up to receive two "whacks" and then go on to class. I think the principal thought it was kind of humerous, but he had to mete out the expected discipline.

YayaSub is online now   Reply With Quote

Tori58

Old 03-07-2020, 07:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Schools tolerate the behavior because parents insist on it. There's not too much a school can do if the parents are willing to lie to excuse their kids. If you had any seniors in class, they were either kids whose parents wouldn't lie or they were kids who already had missed enough school that further absences would result in a truancy charge.

In my previous district, they solved this problem by having an official senior picnic/trip in the last couple of weeks before graduation. The deal was that they only got this sanctioned day off if they didn't plan an unsanctioned Senior Skip Day before that. I guess the activities that were planned were enough fun that it was an effective strategy.

They had Senior Skip Day when I was in high school, but I didn't go. That didn't save me from getting called into the principal's office and chewed out before I could get a word in edgewise to explain that my excused absence was legit: I was traveling to another state for a piano competition. I had to bring in the paperwork, though. Back then schools didn't just take a parent's word for it.
Tori58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Bobbies

What if they're over 18?
Old 03-07-2020, 09:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

If they're over 18, are they legal adults, who can withdrawl themselves from school as well? I dont know.
Bobbies is offline   Reply With Quote

BadKitty

Old 03-08-2020, 11:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

When I was in high school, Senior Ditch Day was the day all the other classes had testing (juniors took the ACT, sophomores took PSAT, freshmen took some state standardized test) but the seniors had nothing so the schools allowed it (unofficially official!)
And if you were 18, you could call yourself out of school that day. If not, your parents had to call for you.
BadKitty is offline   Reply With Quote

Coffee368

Old 03-08-2020, 04:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Nice surprise for you then! Back in my day, I went to school on senior ditch day (ditching being accepted by the teachers/administrators took the fun out of it for me). But all my teachers had nothing planned, so the day was a waste. I had some classes with only 2 or 3 other kids there, and the teachers let us do what we wanted (in class - not wandering the building). Schools donít make it ďofficialĒ on paper, but it is widely accepted. Iím guessing they want to choose their battles. And the day has existed for I donít know how long. Schools donít need to promote it or openly accept it to make it official.
Coffee368 is offline   Reply With Quote