Help

BusyBoard

Plans for reopening school in the fall?

>

aksuz

Plans for reopening school in the fall?
Old 05-17-2020, 07:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Has anyoneís district posted plans for reopening school in the fall? I keep hoping to see a plan A,B,C from my district or state but there has been nothing. I know thing are uncertain right now but I wish they would share the possibilities so we could plan a little for what might be happening.

I would love to know what other states are doing.

aksuz is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

My school...
Old 05-17-2020, 08:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Our high school principal established a committee about a month ago that would look at what school might look like/different options, etc. The middle school followed suit with a committee about a few weeks ago. Our elementary schools are starting a committee soon. The goal is to come up with a "if this...then" type plan based on our state's reopening plan. Our state's reopening plan has different phases, based on how cases are going, so the school reopening plans would be based on that.
Teacherbee_4 is offline   Reply With Quote

mommy9298

Old 05-17-2020, 08:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

My p said my district is starting to plan for September using A all back, B partial in school and online and C all online learning. I think districts should plan for all three options. I think itís too early to see which one will work.
mommy9298 is online now   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 05-17-2020, 08:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Nobody knows.

We just have the options proposed by the state, and until then we will hang tight and wait.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

giver1940

Here's a link to a post by the
Old 05-17-2020, 10:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

superintendent of the Humble ISD in Texas. They are really planning ahead it sounds like.

https://live.myvrspot.com/iframe?v=f...TYyNjgyYmI5OWY

giver1940 is offline   Reply With Quote

eliza4one

Old 05-17-2020, 11:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

OMG! I knew that town sounded familiar.

giver1940~Is that your current superintendent?

She is our former super and totally destroyed our once top notch/top rated school district. We just this past election got the taxpayers to vote for bond/mill levy, after all the crap she did to our district...and lo and behold...corona hit and we are back to climbing up from the bottom of the barrel!

We no longer have a union thanks to that b***! (And you will never hear me curse, so for me to do so now...!).

Seriously, to click on that link and see her picture made my blood boil!

How /what is she doing to that district, do you know? I can't imagine she has changed...
eliza4one is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 05-17-2020, 01:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Nobody knows, but we seem to have switched to a "I hope we can open as normal but let's make some back up plans" conversation to a conversation that pretty much assumes opening up as normal just will not happen. Absolutely everyone is taking about hybrid learning plans now with only a small number of students attending school 1-2 days per week.

I think "plan A" is to open as normal but have an online learning component ready to go for 2 week closures if there is an outbreak at your school. However, we seem to be getting farther and farther away from that idea. They're starting to see outbreaks at daycares, which doesn't bode well for schools opening.
Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote

giver1940

ENo, eliza4one,
Old 05-17-2020, 06:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

she's not my super. Someone sent this to me.
giver1940 is offline   Reply With Quote

eliza4one

giver1940
Old 05-17-2020, 06:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Gotcha! I think you should be glad she's not your super, lol.

Sbkangas5

Old 05-17-2020, 07:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

We are planning for the same - in person, hybrid, online. But my P is pretty hopeful that we will be in person in some capacity, so most of our discussion so far centers around that. Do we do regular classes, but no mixing of kids so you just stick with your own class all day (staggered recesses, lunch, no specials together, etc)? Do we have half of the kids come at a time and do an every other day or every other week model? AM/PM? Nothing has come from the state yet, and that will make a huge difference.

Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

aggie'swife

Old 05-18-2020, 04:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I think it will depend:
- on the state and the level of virus that you have or had

- whether or not your school funding depends on the number of students that attend (Say if some parents aren't keen on the idea of their child back to school then to avoid that parent from pulling out and homeschooling, the district does the on-line, virtual classroom to keep the money.)

- the flexibility of the school (as someone mentioned maybe 1/2 the students in the morning and 1/2 the students in the afternoon. Or you keep the same group only. Alternate days for older students, in fact, that is what a high school in Texas is going to do.) Cameras in your class to allow it to be virtual.

- lunch in your classroom with students

- no parent volunteers or maybe no subs

- may see an increase in the number of students you teach especially if you have a number doing virtual

- rifting of teachers because programs or extracurricular may get cut so you have an overload of teachers (coaches instead of teaching 4 classes can now teach 6 or 7.)

- more breaks in between blocks of time so that it looks more like year round school.

A big question, too, is what will the sports/music programs look like?
aggie'swife is offline   Reply With Quote

Lilbitkm

Old 05-18-2020, 05:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

My district has released nothing. I do know they asked teachers from each level to be on the committee.

I best plan Iíve seen so far is from Maryland:
http://www.marylandpublicschools.org...coveryPlan.pdf
Lilbitkm is online now   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 05-18-2020, 05:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I keep asking our p if she has heard anything and the answer is no. Our school planned the first half of our years' activities as if we were going back with nothing different. I suggested we at least discuss how to do things like Open House and our Meet the Teacher as if we needed to keep numbers gathering down instead of the carnival it usually is and that was shot down.

So, I guess my job is not to worry about school stuff over the summer. I don't think I can even plan too much since we don't know, right?
kahluablast is online now   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 05-18-2020, 07:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

We had our last staff meeting of the year this morning. We were told to "not even think about school in June" and to expect an announcement "sometime in July." Teachers start at the very beginning of August and teachers new to the district start at the end of July. Usually there is some nonsense they have us there doing extra PD early for (paid- so that's likely not happening anymore). Last year I started on July 30th.

I never plan anything in the summer anyway- we change so much every year that would be an exercise in futility- but I'm sure some teachers are losing their minds!
Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote

Waikru

Abc
Old 05-18-2020, 09:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

My school in Fl are also giving us the same ABC choice. Now team leads are meeting with Admin. to see which on will get majority vote. Who knows what the scenario will look like by then.
Waikru is offline   Reply With Quote

eliza4one

More thoughts...
Old 05-18-2020, 10:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Honestly, I'm not sure how any school can make definitive plans right now. It will all depend upon the #'s coming out in July, I would think. A lot can change/happen in 2 months time.

I'm just going to enjoy the summer and put this all out of my mind. Remote teaching/learning had its positives, but it's not something I want to dwell on and worry about during my summer vacay.

I think every district/state knows they will need a plan A, B, and/or C.

MissAgnes

Nothing definitive, but a plan
Old 05-18-2020, 02:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

We have a 3 option plan: Low risk, we go back as usual. Medium risk, some type of hybrid - maybe half the students in the morning, half in the afternoon. High Risk, online learning only.
MissAgnes is offline   Reply With Quote

jazzer

Old 05-18-2020, 03:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

My district is currently developing a committee to plan e-learning curriculum. It looks like they believe we will have to start the year that way. I have heard nothing about what in person learning will look like.
jazzer is online now   Reply With Quote