Help

BusyBoard

Basic literacy 4th grade.

>

MissAgnes

Basic literacy 4th grade.
Old 05-18-2020, 02:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm trying to plan for next year (some how). I'm planning like we're going back as normal, but also making plans if we have a split schedule (half of the students in the morning, half in the afternoon).
If we only have 2-3 hours with the students in a day, we're going to have to really compact our instruction, and focus on the bare bones of math and ELA.
My question is: if you only have and hour a day to focus on literacy for intermediate (4th grade), what would you do?

MissAgnes is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

1 hour!
Old 05-18-2020, 02:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

All I can say is we only have 1 hour a day if we are lucky to teach reading, writing, spelling, English, writing. We have Wonders, too, so it's very hard. I wish I had advice for you, but I really don't. I've been trying to figure it out all year! Since we had whole group Wonders things, I tended to do whole group and not small group because I didn't have time, but I think small group is so much more effective.
Teacherbee_4 is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

I am retired now
Old 05-18-2020, 03:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

But if it were me I would have them read and write reading responses. This way you tackle writing skills at the same time plus spelling. Reading comprehension is key to this grade level in my opinion. They really need to master the skills of absorbing what they read.

I would read aloud to them for five ten minutes each day and do think alouds to model what they should be thinking about as a reader while they read. Then have them write about plot, characters, tone, theme... (whatever you focused on during your think aloud) that day when they respond to their own reading selection.

As I read their reading response for comprehension I would also look for their misspellings. When you read their reading responses I would choose a few words that each student needs to learn to spell correctly. I would select common words they misspell first over words used less frequently. Check them when you can to see if they have learned those words as individuals in future reading responses.

They need to read a good mixture of fiction and nonfiction. If the basal reader does not include a variety then I would select nonfiction that might cover some of the social studies or science topics you don't have time to get to. That way at least they are exposed to some of the content.

To break it up from time to time I would give them a poem to read and respond to.
1956BD is offline   Reply With Quote

RetiredKat

TPT freebie
Old 05-19-2020, 04:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

This freebie on TPT has 2 sets of open-ended questions. One set for fiction and one for non-fiction. Each set is available as a full page or bookmark. Recommended for grades 3-5.

FREE!
Attached Images

Sign in to view image. Not a member? Sign Up FREE
RetiredKat is offline   Reply With Quote