The VENT

School policy on late work

>

Guest12345

Guest12345

School policy on late work
Old 11-18-2020, 01:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

There was a parent teacher conference at our school today. The student is the son of our principal, who was very upset that his son did not have points deducted from late assignments. Several teachers tried to explain that due to covid-19 circumstances and classrooms with hybrid and remote and different circumstances going on that due dates aren't as easily enforced as they usually are. He said that it's in our school handbook and it needs to be enforced. I have a feeling there will he a huge unpleasant faculty meeting and everybody is going to be micromanaged and forced to uphold late penalty on assignments. I don't even know where I can begin to do this right now! Our classes in our grade program are a mix of day 1, day 2, 4 day a week and remote kids. Students who are out quarentined. Special ed students who get extra days to hand in work. I have much bigger issues than keeping track if work is a day or two late. I'm doing the best I can!

Teacherbee_4

Middle Ground
Old 11-18-2020, 05:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I'd definitely rather the principal want points deducted from his son than not, though, wouldn't you?

I get the argument from both sides and understand both viewpoints. I do agree with COVID that there does need to be some grace and flexibility, though...it should be on a case by case basis.

If I was the teacher, I'd take the points off the principal's son's assignments.
Teacherbee_4 is offline   Reply With Quote

klarabelle

Old 11-18-2020, 08:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I like that the P is taking a stand and using his son as an example. Students should have consequences for not handing in work when it is due.
klarabelle is offline   Reply With Quote

MissESL

Late Work
Old 11-19-2020, 06:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I think that is a little piece of minutiae that should be put aside during this time.

Our school policy is called a minimum policy - we are required to at least maintain these rules, but may go beyond if we like.

The school policy is 3 days to turn in late work. Plus, students get the same number of days they were absent to make up work they missed during that absence. Thatís it.

I do not impose a late penalty at all. If they turn it in, I grade it. I do have nonnegotiable deadlines, though, almost always the end of the unit.

For example, we are writing a personal narrative right now that is due Tuesday. Anything to do with this paper will be due Tuesday and that is it. Anything from our personal narrative unit becomes a permanent zero at that point.

I donít know what would cause the principal to choose this hill to die on. Is he also hardline implementing all other rules in the handbook? Is he receiving complaints about possible special treatment of his child - or worried about redwing complaints?

I donít know. I think in hybrid, remote, wonky schedule times we need to give kids as much space and grace as possible.
MissESL is online now   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 11-19-2020, 06:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I recently told all of my classes that they will be responsible for meeting due dates. I canít keep going back to assignments to grade one person. It is too time consuming. I donít grade things the minute they are due, and I had started grading very much past the deadline because how irresponsible they were being. I am not even going to go back and look after I grade them.

I do like that your p is using his son as an example. I am glad that we do not have a late policy, but I donít think anyone is getting stronger because of that. Kids and families think they can do whatever, whenever. It is too much.

kahluablast is online now   Reply With Quote

Tori58

Old 11-19-2020, 07:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

What age group are we talking about? At the high school level, I think this is a reasonable policy although, in a fully virtual setting it does require that teachers be organized enough to POST their due dates. (I was pretty annoyed with my middle school grandson's FACS teacher who would post assignments with no due date and then deduct points if they didn't turn them in when she wanted them. I think her problem is that she has absolutely no experience with Google Classroom and doesn't realize that it's very hard to keep track of due dates if they aren't set in each assignment.)

For younger kids, a lot depends on whether their parent/guardian is willing and able to help them stay on top of due dates. I think that flexibility is absolutely in order for them.

I think there were enough complaints at my GS's school about this that they decided to have an "amnesty week" where kids could turn in late assignments and get credit for them.

If your principal is asking you to be inflexible about this, I hope HE is prepared to handle all parental complaints.
Tori58 is offline   Reply With Quote