Help

The Job Search

Teaching with DoD

>

allensag

Teaching with DoD
Old 06-25-2019, 07:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have worked with a summer camp before, which was partnered with the Department of Defense, where I was a camp counselor to the kids on the military base I was placed at. This is where my dream began to grow. I would like to become a DoD teacher. A few questions, however:

Does DoDEA hire year round?

I still need to finish my student teaching, which will be done in December. I have begun my application, but am not sure how to go about some things since I won't get my degree or certification until my student teaching is done. Should I wait until it is done to submit it?

What is my chance, as a first year teacher who is fresh out of college, of being accepted into an interview and especially offered a job?

What can I do to make my application stand out from the rest? I have heard suggestions such as calling principals of specific schools. Does this actually help? Where could I find this information through the DoD?

Thanks so much!

allensag is offline   Reply With Quote

Pashmina9

Pashmina9

Info
Old 07-09-2019, 10:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Apply now. The DoD hires year round but they are in their prime hiring season now. Years ago I received an interview opportunity in December but it was for a stateside part-time/aide position so I turned it down. I also interviewed for a middle grades position in he summer a while back. Wasn't selected but it was a perfectly pleasant phone interview. I have to be honest, though, your chances of getting an interview are slim. They prefer teachers with full-time, stateside experience and the more areas/grade levels, the better. If you are aiming for high school math, science, or SPED and you can get good references you might have a better chance. Thousands of people apply for a very limited number of spots, and they always have to offer a position to local (military) personnel first. Happy hunting!