Help

The Job Search

How to decline after I accepted

>

Tounces

How to decline after I accepted
Old 07-11-2019, 02:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Iíve been interviewing for months and finally got a job. An ex coworker told me about it and recommended me to the executive director.

She took about a week after the interview to tell me I was hired. She brought up the pay range and I liked it. When I asked about pay, it took her over a week to get back to me. I was offered about 5-10 thousand less! So I brought that up and negotiated for more. Again, days to get back to me. Only offered 3000 more. There were no other offers from other schools so I accepted.
Throughout this time I kept applying for jobs. I figure no contract signed, so keep trying.
The day after I accepted, I got offered to interview in a different district. Itís a district that would probably pay me $25,000 more. So I want to go to the interview in a few days.

Meanwhile, the first school finally got back to me to come in and sign a contract.

I would prefer the second job if it was offered. Itís taken a month since the first schoolís interview.

I know I probably CAN decline to go sign the contract, but how do I state it without coming off as a jerk?

Tounces is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 07-11-2019, 03:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Can you just tell them you are headed out of town for vacation and Iíll come in after? Maybe that will buy you time to see if the other jobactually gets offered to you.
kahluablast is online now   Reply With Quote

Tounces

Re kahluablast
Old 07-11-2019, 05:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I thought about that. But how would I explain that Iím taking another offer after Iíve been out of town?
Tounces is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 07-11-2019, 05:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

If you arenít going to work there, what does it matter? If you get the other job you just tell them something that is a better fit came through and you are going to go with it. No worries.
kahluablast is online now   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 07-11-2019, 08:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I would tell them that you took at a hard look at your budget and the salary they offered you just unfortunately isn't sustainable for you. I would even mention how much less it is than the original number you were told. You were excited about working there so you originally agreed, but after taking the time to budget everything out there is just no way it's going to work. There's an off chance they won't want to go through the hiring process again and will offer you the original amount if you threaten to walk away. If not, then you have a legitimate reason for not signing the contract and don't need to feel guilty about walking away.

I'd tell the new school that they're your first choice, but you have an offer from another school and need to sign the contract by x date (I'd make that date very soon- maybe 2 days after the interview), and that if you haven't heard from them you'll need to go with the offer you have. If the other school really wants you, they'll make an offer happen by that time.

Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

teachnkids

Old 07-12-2019, 06:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I would definitely interview with other district. I would tell offered place that you are out of town and will sign when you get back.

If offered job at more $$ place, just tell the other place a job came up that fits your needs better.
teachnkids is online now   Reply With Quote