Help

Kindergarten

Moving away from simple sentences

>

hikinghiker

Moving away from simple sentences
Old 02-20-2020, 08:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm struggling with writing this year with my gorup of kids.

Finally, at this point, all of them can write sentences like "I like dad, mom, books, etc" Some of them can reliable write them independently and most use them as their default sentences, which is now becoming an issue since I want to move them to new sentences types.

I do have one or two students though who need to be prompted to write, but when prompted, they cna write "I like..." sentences. The rest can do it reliably without prompting.

I'm trying to get my stuents to move on from those sentences though. They automatically default to "I like..." sentences and if I say to do a different sentence (and give examples) most of them blank and can't do it, even with the lines, though they can do it with me coaching them through the process.

The handful that can write independent sentences with different strucutres, do it ONLY during writing time. They don't copy over that information to center time or journaling time.

Any advice?

hikinghiker is offline   Reply With Quote

sevenplus

Old 02-20-2020, 03:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Have them draw first, then write.

We do personal narratives. They draw something that really happened, talk about it and then write.

Two examples from my class today:

I am at the ntz (dentist). My tef (teeth) hrt (hurt).

Me and my dad went to subwa. We got potato chips. I at (ate) min (mine) in the car.

(Don't remember how she spelled potato chips.)

I want to add that I never start with structured sentences like "I like..." because of how hard it is to break the habit. So our independent writing starts much slower but it's worth it in the end.
sevenplus is online now   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 02-20-2020, 09:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Quote:
I want to add that I never start with structured sentences like "I like..." because of how hard it is to break the habit. So our independent writing starts much slower but it's worth it in the end.
I want to echo this. I don't do sentence frames at all unless we are doing a class book or a response of some kind. I do think it makes a huge difference!

Sometimes what I'll do is read a bunch of sentences (not ones that they wrote!) and then comment about how boring it is as a reader to read the same thing over and over. I make a big deal about wanting to read interesting sentences. Then I make a bigger deal about how I know they can write interesting sentences. And when they do I share them or use my super special sparkly stickers or do a little dance or something else to help encourage them. Some of them catch on right away, others take a little time, but usually everyone moves on at some point.
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

hikinghiker

Thanks!
Old 02-21-2020, 07:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I definitely didn't explicitly teach them the sentence frame. I've tried to do a variety of types of sentences, but my school focuses HEAVILY on sight words and once they realized they could write an "I like..." sentence easily it spread like wildfire. I'm actually pretty sure it started when I asked them to write about something they really liked. Most of them naturally used the sentence "I like..." in response and I praised it (I took over halfway through this year and the other teachers only did group copy writing, no independent writing) so I was just happy they were independently getting words on the page. Ugh.

I think I'll take a step back, do pictures first like suggested, then work on labeling, and have them write a sentence using the words they labeled with. Thanks for the tips!
hikinghiker is offline   Reply With Quote

kinderlol

sentence starters
Old 02-24-2020, 01:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I use sentence starters to move them from the "I like" sentences.
Example:
Look at the _____.
I see the _____.
It is a _____.
Can you see the ____?
I like the _____.
Is it my _____.
I put these on sentence strips and let the students pick whichever sentence starter they want to use.
There are many more starters out there!

kinderlol is offline   Reply With Quote