Help

Career Decisions

Throwing in the towel

>

mrteacherguy

Throwing in the towel
Old 02-19-2020, 03:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I had to leave my class today, have admin cover for me. This is the fourth time this year it has happened. In my prior six years it never happened once.

After practically breaking down into tears, I informed my AP that I was taking a half day. I left early to talk things over with my wife. Tonight I'm going to type up my letter of resignation and meet with my principal tomorrow. I have the idea of leaving during the school year, of not having a job to support my wife and kids, but this job is not good for my mental wellbeing, my physical health, or my family.

I'm praying that my district will let me go with my certification intact, because I'd hate for this to truly be the end of my teaching career, but at the same time I don't know if I have what it takes to teach today's students. I was raised to show respect to my teachers and my elders regardless of my personal opinion about them, to value hard work and honesty. Unfortunately even my few years as a teacher I am seeing less and less of it.

Discipline in schools now seems to be less about right and wrong and enforcing boundaries, and more about what the teacher is or isn't doing. Rather than addressing the student/infraction, we're questioned about how we've tried to connect with the students and how many times we've retaught and revisited our expectations/rules.

This isn't the kind of teaching I wanted to or thought I was getting in to. I wish I was able to push through, but in the end it just feels like continuing to shove a square peg into a round hole. It's not the right position for me, and despite what I might hope, teaching might not be the right field.

mrteacherguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Munchkins

Can you see a doctor?
Old 02-19-2020, 04:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

If you can get stress leave, you can use your sick days while you figure out what to do next.

Iím sorry you are going through this, but no job is worth your health. You are doing the right thing. Iíll be keeping you and your family in my thoughts and prayers. Please let us know how youíre doing, your PT family cares!
Munchkins is offline   Reply With Quote

KetchupChips

Old 02-19-2020, 06:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Oh my gosh, Iím sorry youíre feeling this way. Your health is of primary importance. Since youíve taught 6 years without feeling this overwhelmed, what changed? Were you enjoying it then? If so, I agree with Munchkin to get relief without giving it all up. Can you take any sick days to sort out your options? Can you see a doctor and get stress leave (I donít know what itís called.) Do you have a union rep to talk to?

Can you seek a different school next year? How about a different grade?
Do you like elementary age kids? They are still sweet, for the most part. And they love their teacher! Youíll get notes of appreciation. They love to learn and once youíve built that connection, will enjoy seeing you each day.

If you need to just walk away, then do that. But if you can hang on a bit and save your career, do that. Youíve worked so hard to become a teacher. Do whatís right for your health. Weíre hoping the best for you.
KetchupChips is online now   Reply With Quote

eeza

leaving midyear
Old 02-20-2020, 06:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I understand your desire to just up and leave. I sometimes consider doing that myself, but I would strongly recommend looking into FMLA. I had my doctor cite depression and anxiety and that allowed me to take time off when I needed it. If you do this, you can quit at the end of your contract.

Best of luck!
eeza is online now   Reply With Quote
YepYep

YepYep

I completely understand!!!
Old 02-21-2020, 06:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

This is my first year and will probably be my last year of teaching. I haven't been in it as long as you have but I agree that teaching kids these days is no small task. Each day I stand in awe at the behaviors I see that are tolerated. Sometimes I feel the students don't know better because they haven't been taught. Many kids are raising themselves, or better yet, the streets are raising them. One of the worst things I've heard since I've started teaching is when the principal told teachers that we are to respect the kids. With that comment, I felt students were given power. They know it and use it everyday. The students threaten to get teachers fired, try to trap them in lies, and all the other things that come with an abnormal upbringing. I've witnessed first hand the back talk and disrespect students have toward teachers and yet these students are allowed to remain or return to class. I've had students curse other students and were allowed to return to the classroom without any serious consequences only to repeat the behavior. They've cursed teachers, been suspended, allowed to return only to repeat the behavior.

We are told to constantly use the discipline policy and rules, understand what we are doing wrong and what we need to do better but even then, when there isn't a strong administration to follow through, it is of no value. Each time the kids "do something," the teachers are held accountable. When I decided to become a teacher, I never imagined it to be like this.

Best of luck to you in whatever decision you make!

Dr. Now

Dr. Now

Reconsider for Moment
Old 02-22-2020, 04:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Try to get on FMLA. It seems like a pain, but if you can do it, take FMLA for high stress, anxiety, and depression. I had the same scenario as you. I was in a terrible area with a class from hell. I was on FMLA for a year. I finally bailed out after 20 years of teaching full time. I couldn't return to the hell hole.

I had a good job in education for a year after I made the break, but there was not enough budget. It paid less though. Now I am looking again for a job in education and subbing as my savings are running out.

Maybe you can come up with a rewards system. Look at my advice on the sub page for another poster. I forgot their name, but they explained how they had a bad day in their post's title. I hope they put my reply up because I just posted it, and I think it might be useful in your circumstance. If I am too late to your problem, that's life I guess. With a reward system, you have to spend a little money. It may be worth it to save your job. On the other hand , if the job is causing you complete grief, then you don't want to have health issues later on as a result of job stress, so do something to alleviate it quick. Like FMLA, changing your management system, help from other colleagues, etc. Good luck.

Wanderlusty

We all understand and relate on so many level
Old 03-03-2020, 10:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

@mrteacherguy

We get it! It's my 8th year teaching (2 in public and 6 in private), though the private and public are really two different worlds, and I am calling this my final year.

Your certification and future career (should you choose to stay in teaching or not) are going to be fine. Please trust and have faith. You are wiser than most for prioritizing your health and family because that should always be number one.

Teaching, especially in public school, is mentally exhausting! Considering the cultural, political, and socio-economical climate of education, teaching is one of the least desirable jobs for many reasons. In my case, I've seen too much of the same thing. There is less pay and less union support for higher workloads every year. There's too much emphasis on testing and student obedience than there is about retention and student empowerment and input. Students and parents are less appreciative and more demanding because they see teachers are nothing but a service, in any education institution, I might add. Hell, teachers in other first world countries are treated much better overall than teachers in the US.

My best advice is to take time to reflect and consider the options. Do you want to stay in teaching? If so, will you move schools, maybe into private? Should you choose to quit teaching, brainstorm what careers you would like to transition towards. Take care of yourself. Best of luck to you!!!
Wanderlusty is offline   Reply With Quote