Help

Classroom Management

I can't teach my classes

>

mrteacherguy

I can't teach my classes
Old 10-22-2019, 05:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

The last two years have been a huge struggle for me in terms of classroom management.

It seems like there are a couple of class periods, not always the same one everyday, where I can't get through my lesson without having to send one or two students out. And then there are days like today where I had to send out 4 students in one period before we could make any headway.

I feel like a lousy teacher, because this is becoming a habit/pattern, and not a now-and-then kind of thing. But what else am I supposed to do when students refuse the follow directions - often being openly defiant - and disrupting other students.

I am emailing and calling parents, but that rarely seems to generate any results.

We're barely into 2nd quarter and this has already been my worst year of teaching yet.

mrteacherguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Fenwick

Old 10-23-2019, 07:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

What kind(s) of training have you received in classroom management?
Fenwick is offline   Reply With Quote
subbing 4eve

subbing 4eve

what I do
Old 11-18-2019, 11:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

You did not say what grade level. In my over 30 years of substituting all grade level and many long term assignments. I have observed 1000's of classrooms. The first thing I would do is look at your seating, and arrangement of it in the classroom. I have had classrooms where I changed seating or students weekly. I will work at it until there is a good fit for the most part. Students who are rude to each other must be separated by as much distance as possible. I have never gotten support from admin in most disciplinary situations.

happygal

Sounds pretty typical
Old 03-08-2020, 12:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I am sorry to say. Students respond to different things. I am going to pelt you with ideas.

1. Stay calm. The more you show emotion or animate the more they will try to push their buttons.

2. Set up video camera. Tell them that you are recording to improve your teaching.

3. Incentive system. "You will earn one point for every class period where I can focus on teaching without interruption. 20 points will equal a prize from the list i am handing out, poster over on the wall. Any ideas for realistic ideas?"

List ideas:
A night without homework
10 class grade credits, like an assignment they never had to do
A note home commending behavior/results
Part of a movie with popcorn, movie ties into instructional unit
Art project that ties into unit
Let out early, can be done inside room
Music of their choice during seatwork time

Punitive punishments:
More/ longer assignments for individual causing problem
Call in behavioral counselor

Pass small piece of paper. Ask each student to write the student a note. Have them put their name on the slip. Get these photo copied, then pass them out. Ask that student to read the notes, from a seat in the hallway.

"Brandon, i have you down to come see me and the principal during lunch recess. You need some focused attention which i cannot give you right now." Be sure to follow thru. Have the kid eat then wait a really long time before addressing the issue with your boss. Set this up ahead of time with your boss. You want to prevent these meetings.

Brandon, your Dad will be coming to class with you tomorrow. Until you learn how to conduct yourself in my class you are going to need some help maybe.

Talk to the kid/kids yourself 1:1 at recess, out in the open where everyone can see. Bring your snack. Share it. Show concern, compassion, but be businesslike warm and stern. Yes this is possible. Take a really long time. Most kids do not want to be sitting at recess like this
happygal is offline   Reply With Quote