Help

BusyBoard

Virtal Classrooms

>

all41

Virtal Classrooms
Old 03-19-2020, 06:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

How is Zoom different than Skype? It seems everyone is using Zoom and Im afraid that when I want to start using it next week it will be overloaded. I have used Skype but not Zoom. Just wondering if I should use Skype right away so I don't have to worry about issues. I dont want to have tech problems. Any advice?

all41 is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 03-19-2020, 06:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

It could be that Skype is just as easy and we just don't know what we're doing, but we've tried Skype for interviews for years and it is a disaster every time. It breaks up, the contact information doesn't work to "call" the other person, they can't hear us/we can't hear them, someone's video is wrong, there is lagging,etc. It's also not as straightforward in that it's hard to figure out where to look on the screen to look like you're making eye contact with whoever you are speaking to.

We've been using google hangouts and zoom this week and both are 100x better, IMO. I like google hangouts the best personally, but for whatever reason the district keeps pushing zoom. We will be doing some interviews next week over zoom and I think it will work much better than our previous skype attempts. One positive of all this is that we're all learning some new tools for virtual situations in the future! For us, I assume this means we won't be trying skype again.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

all41

Old 03-19-2020, 06:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Do the students need google email to use hangouts? Ive used it once a long time ago. I cant remember how it works. We do not use google in our district. I would like to use Micrsoft Teams but kids dont have accounts. Thanks for all the advice as we are trying to figure this out.
all41 is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 03-19-2020, 07:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

The students wouldn't need google accounts, but I'm pretty sure you would if you want to create events with it. Someone more tech savvy can correct me if I'm wrong- if there is a way to do it from a non-google account, I'm not aware of it. I've been creating hangouts from my google calendar. I can invite people not on google and they can participate, but I don't see a way to create the event if you're not on a google account yourself.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Gromit

Old 03-19-2020, 08:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

The last time I ever tried to use Skype was years ago, but my experience was the same as Haley's. I've been Zooming with my students this week and it is so easy!

Gromit is offline   Reply With Quote

mom23kids

gromit or anyone here
Old 03-20-2020, 04:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Gromit... I want to zoom with my students this week too. I tried it yesterday with my son but I think I had to put in his email acct and invite him.
All the kids in my school have a google acct (gmail for school ??) When I invite them, do they have to do anything other than accept? Can you do a step by step for this tech idiot? (if you have time)
Thank you
mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote

Gromit

Old 03-20-2020, 06:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

All I've got is time

When you create a meeting, you will be given the option to "copy the invitation." I sent that to the parents/guardians.

The families will have to download an app but they will be prompted to do so when they click the link.

After a couple of days, I just posted the link in Google Classroom and said "join us at 3pm each day."

If you do that, be sure to disable "join before host." Then you just "start the meeting" (button to click) at your designated time.

I hope that helps.

There's no specific email you have to have
Gromit is offline   Reply With Quote

mrsf70

Old 03-21-2020, 02:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Gromit, thanks for your advice. I want to start using Zoom next week, and you've made it seem super easy!
mrsf70 is online now   Reply With Quote