Help

BusyBoard

Students-Remote learning and mental health

>

Riding4Him

Students-Remote learning and mental health
Old 03-21-2020, 12:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

As many of us are scrambling to instruct via remote learning I am thinking about our students' mental health. I am trying to make instruction as "normal" as possible for my 3rd graders. I read from the same chair for my read aloud, I use the same manipulatives for math in my videos, etc. However, my students and their families are stressing. I've also noticed that some teachers are trying to place the same requirements on their class as before; i.e. inflexible due dates, requirements to be present for Live Feeds on FB, etc. I homeschooled for a while and worked with several families that homeschool and this is not how they operate. We want students to work hard and be diligent but some of our parents are working extra long shifts, especially first responders and those in the health care profession. We need to give grace and be flexible. If that means I'm helping a working parent after 3:30 due to their shift then that's what I'm going to do. If a student needs to send a picture of their completed writing the next day, oh well, let's deal with it. This is just my opinion, I just think we need to take this into account as we try to navigate this new way of instruction.

Riding4Him is offline   Reply With Quote

TeacherPK6

Old 03-21-2020, 01:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Yes! Not to mention people with multiple children and/or working from home may need to juggle sharing devices.
TeacherPK6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Riding4Him

Yes!
Old 03-21-2020, 01:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

At least our school offered parents the opportunity to check out school iPads if they needed more devices at home. They just have to sign a release knowing that the filter is on at school, not at home.
Riding4Him is offline   Reply With Quote