Help

BusyBoard

Para-professionals and e-learning

>

Sprite

Para-professionals and e-learning
Old 03-21-2020, 11:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

How are you utilizing your paraprofessionals for e-learning? Iím not sure how best to do this yet. I have 2 in my classroom. One is for the whole class and the other is a 1:1.

Sprite is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 03-21-2020, 11:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

We aren't starting until April 1st (next week was our original SB), but P says that district is directing non-teaching staff to help with enforcing the online learning. That includes paras as well as office staff. So if little Johnny isn't logging on or doing anything, one of those people will call and tell the family he has to. I predict this is going to blow up in their faces and I don't envy them with this task at all.

I work in a low SES community. Very few parents are going to have the time, willingness, and ability to help their child home school. Many are in jobs where they still have to go to work (grocery stores, etc.) It's incredibly unrealistic of the district to assume that kids are just going to start participating in this online learning, IMO. We of course asked what happens if they just won't do it, and the district is saying, "Well, they have to." Okay then...we'll see what happens.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

Getting paid
Old 03-21-2020, 01:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Our paras are still getting paid during this time. We were told that if we have things the can do, feel free to have them do it. They were also told to contact us periodically to see if we needed anything. They will also be used for doing more clerical/office tasks during their time off (that's what were told, but I'm not sure how they would go about getting the materials!).

Anyway, my para has 3 kids at home all doing online learning. I'm not about to add this to her plate, too. I don't have anything for her to do. Though, I do imagine some teachers may have theirs doing some things like preparing different classroom materials like games and such.

The only think I can think of is having my aid join for Google Hangouts to stay in contact with the kids. The other I can think of is having her keep a checklist of students and the work they completed, while I provide the feedback and post the work. However, even during the regular year, I feel bad giving my aid tasks to do. I'm not used to having an aid and I feel like I'm "pawning" my work off on her.
Teacherbee_4 is online now   Reply With Quote

iteachk2010

Old 03-21-2020, 05:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

This what our paras were told:
  • If buildings are open, you can come in and copy off more materials for teachers. (This would be for those students who are not on-line. The principal will help facilitate those plans.)
  • If you have internet access and capability, you could record yourself on your phone and then email it to yourself and forward it to the teacher so that they can push it out for students.
  • The district may need some assistance for delivering food to the families via school buses. Also, we may need help with calling families and seeing if they need food. This can be done at home or at one of the buildings.
  • Right now families may be overwhelmed, but next week a friendly call to see how they are doing. You can come in and use one of our phones at the District Office or you could hit *67 and they dial the number. Your cell number will be blocked. The teacher must send out ahead to families that you will be calling. You must speak to the parent first and then talk with the student with a friendly conversation. Or sending a letter to the student and have them respond back to you via mail with a picture or ask them questions to answer. The district will provide stamped envelopes.
  • Those of you that work closely with students that provide one on one support - please work with the classroom teacher on ways you can support the student at home. With the secondary students, emailing them and making sure they are working each day and give them some encouraging words. If you have instructional questions, you can forward them to the teacher.
  • Go to GNC to explore topics of interest.
  • Fill in the log to document your time. It is not the intention to put in each block what you are doing from 8 to 3. It is just a reflection of the day.
iteachk2010 is offline   Reply With Quote

jazzer

Old 03-21-2020, 07:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I am an assistants. In my district we are called associates. This past week while the teachers were doing e-learning with the students, we were instructed to spend five hours a day watching professional development videos, take the quizzes, and write a reflection journal which includes writing up the hours we worked, what videos we watched, and what we learned from them.

At a virtual meeting we all had with the Principal and Vice principal yesterday, one of the associates asked if we would be continuing to do this should we end up out of school longer than the original plan which was through March 30th. She also said she didnít want to do more of that which probably was not the best thing to say since we are still getting paid and they probably want to justify paying us.

Our return date got pushed back to no sooner than April 8th. I hope we donít end up having to call parents of certain students like a previous poster said, I would not feel comfortable with that. I would prefer to continue to watch professional development videos.

jazzer is offline   Reply With Quote