Help

BusyBoard

Google Hangout Question 2

>

Teacherbee_4

Google Hangout Question 2
Old 03-21-2020, 10:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have another google Hangout question that I'm hoping someone can answer!

So, I'd love to do a Google Hangout with my class with our current read aloud. We do snack and read aloud everyday, so I thought I'd do it at the same time each day for those who can join us. They all have internet access and a device, but we've been told not to require anything during this time, just provide things and if they do it, great, if not, fine.

Anyway, my students have Google Accounts, but e-mail is turned off until 5th grade (I teach 4th). I'd like to create a google hangout and then put the link on our Google Classroom page, so they can click the link to join. My question is, how do I do this ahead of time? I've tried creating a hangout in my calendar, but I see for the calendar feature you add people's names to invite. My students wouldn't get the e-mail if I did that. I see there is a link when I create it in my calendar as well. Can I copy the link and paste it on my google classroom, then students can click and join? Is there another way? Does anyone have any step-by-step directions of how I could invite the students without them having e-mail? Thanks so much!

Teacherbee_4 is online now   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 03-21-2020, 10:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

If you copy and paste the link, anyone can just click on it and join.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

Thanks!
Old 03-21-2020, 10:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Quote:
If you copy and paste the link, anyone can just click on it and join.
Thanks, that's what I was thinking. Now, another question, if I create it ahead of time for a certain time and post the link ahead of time, they can't join the link until the actual time, right?

My fear...what if I post the link and then students click on it before the time and I'm not in the Google Hangout but they are and then do something "bad" or inappropriate? Sorry, weird fear, but a thought I had!

Or should I not post the link until I'm ready to use it?

Haley23

Old 03-21-2020, 10:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I think it depends on what emails the kids are using. When I've set it up for our IEP meetings, my teammates can go in ahead of time even though I'm not there yet. However, any time a parent has clicked on the link to join the meeting, a message pops up asking me to allow them to access the meeting. I assume the difference is that it's recognizing who is in our "network" (i.e. who has a school email address) and who isn't. So if your students have school email accounts they're all using it might let them in ahead of time. If you're not sure though I would probably just post it just a few minutes in advance just to be safe. Post a message saying they'll need to look here at such and such time/date and the link will be there.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

Thanks!
Old 03-21-2020, 10:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thanks, Haley. That's what I'll do it. I would post it a few minutes in advance and tell them to check at that time. Then I'll be on the whole time!

Teacherbee_4

One more question
Old 03-21-2020, 01:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

One more question, when I leave the Google Hangout, is everyone else forced to leave? Do I have to delete the hangout right away, so they can no longer be in there?

aksuz

Can you get your district to open gmail?
Old 03-24-2020, 02:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

We had a similar issue and my district opened gmail for younger kids on teacher requests.
aksuz is offline   Reply With Quote