Help

BusyBoard

Discussions on Google Meet

>

Teacherbee_4

Discussions on Google Meet
Old 03-24-2020, 09:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

My students and I have been doing Google Meets with our read aloud. While I read, I like to stop ask questions, some basic comprehension questions, some deeper level, some more discussion based, etc. so it's not passive. I'm wondering the best way to do it. I have them mute their mics so we don't pick up background noise, but then if they have an answer, we can't hear until they unmute. If multiple people unmute and/or answer at the same time, it's too confusing. Is there a raise hand feature or something I can do? Today I tried having them raise their hands and I'd pick one and call, but it was hard because I could only see a select few of them, and one's camera doesn't work. Should I maybe tomorrow have them post a signal in the chat to let me know they have an answer and then I can call on a person? Or should they type their answers and then I share a few? Is there a button that they could hit indicating they have something to say? Any ideas?

Also, my students have loved seeing each other and during the read aloud, they are getting really into seeing each other. Nothing inappropriate, just typical 4th grade things, like flexing muscles for the camera, throwing popcorn in the air and catching it with their mouth, typing things like "What are you all up to do today?" and "What are you having for snack?" and "My snack is so good" and "____ your room is so cool". Silly things, but it's distracting. I was thinking maybe tomorrow, the first 5 minutes could be for this and then I could say for the remaining time they need to act how they would in school for read aloud, meaning eating snack appropriately, focusing on the story and not communicating with others, etc. Do think that's a good plan? Or do you have guidelines I can share with what should/shouldn't be put in the chat and what should/shouldn't be seen in the video?

Teacherbee_4 is offline   Reply With Quote

eliza4one

Old 03-24-2020, 09:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I gave mine about 5-7 min. just to be silly, chat, say hi, etc.

For discussions, I had them type into the chat box. It worked really well!

Mine are 2nd graders, their parents were there helping them, I'm sure.

Today was Day 1. A bit chaotic (I got kicked out, somehow?), but tomorrow will be better!

As 4th graders, they should be able to use the chat button, which to me, is easier than trying to call on certain kids, shush them, etc. It is what it is...

Also as 4th graders, I imagine the goofing off is worse than with 2nd graders. You have my sympathy, lol.
eliza4one is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 03-24-2020, 09:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Our art teacher is doing classes today and I stopped in at the first one (5th Graders). It was crazy! The kids were so, well, kids! They were so happy to see each other! I could only take it for a few minutes and dropped out. My dh and I are so quiet...

I think your plan is good. 4th Graders should be able to type in chat, and if there is someone with an answer you would like to hear more from, you can call on them. If there is someone who isn't responding, you can ask them to unmute and answer, too.
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote