Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Losartan

>

Tori58

Losartan
Old 03-26-2020, 07:13 AM

I just became aware that losartan is being tested as a possible treatment for COVID 19.
https://www.bizjournals.com/twinciti...-on-three.html

I got a little excited about it (because I take losartan) until I did more research and became aware of the uncertainty surrounding the effects of ARB's and ACE inhibitors on COVID 19.
https://globalbiodefense.com/2020/03...-and-covid-19/

Has anybody discussed this with their doctor? I thought about calling mine but it seems as though there's no point until they've done more research.

Tori58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Shelby3

It's great
Old 03-26-2020, 07:28 AM

to read encouraging news about this awful pandemic. The people who are re-tooling their factories to make ventilators, the home bound who are stitching masks, and the researchers like Tori58 posted.

Kudos to the Golden Gophers!

In my town we have a hot air balloon repair shop that has switched over to sewing masks. He ordered new machines and sterilization UV equipment and brought in the FDA so he could help hospital staff.

A 13 year old boy is using 3D printers at his mom's dental practice to make M95 masks for hospitals.
Shelby3 is offline   Reply With Quote

twin2

About Losartan
Old 03-26-2020, 07:33 AM

My husband takes Losartan. I don't know if I should tell him about the conflicting thoughts of this drug and Covid19. From the article it appears they aren't sure but the results could be good or bad. I'm thinking unless they definitely say it is bad, or won't offer some protection, then it would be good to talk to the doctor about it. My husband has been in several different medicines, even a combination of medicines but it wasn't until he went on Losartan that his condition stabilized.
twin2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tori58

twin2
Old 03-26-2020, 07:50 AM

Right. It's hard to know how to think about it, but in thinking it through I tend to think that the benefits probably outweigh the risks, especially if there's a chance that it offers some protection. I've had absolutely no side effects with losartan (unlike hydrochlorothiazide and lisinipril) and it's been highly effective, which is maybe why they chose it to study.
Tori58 is offline   Reply With Quote

PrivateEyes

I read
Old 03-26-2020, 11:56 AM

that doctors are saying that people currently on these medications should continue until more studies are concluded. (Both my husband and I take Losartan) I'm planning on continuing

PrivateEyes is online now   Reply With Quote