Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Loved ones at risk due to their work

>

puzzle1mom

Loved ones at risk due to their work
Old 03-26-2020, 06:48 PM

DH and I are getting concerned about our son (16). He has been working in our local grocery store since August. He enjoys his job and is a great worker. But obviously, we are getting a little concerned. We know he is taking precautions and bringing a small bottle of hand sanitizer in his pocket. He immediately changes out of his uniform when he gets home and takes a shower. (The uniform goes right into the washing machine.) When people ask if he's still working and we say that yes, he is, I feel like they are judging us as parents.

We'd hate for him to quit as they obviously need workers right now and if he does quit, he may not be able to get his job back when this is over.

I know teens are in the lower risk category but we know he can still carry germs home to us. I don't know. DH and I are so torn as to what to do.

On another note, I was watching a live YouTube event that Rosie O'Donnell hosted to raise money for the out-of-work theatre workers in NY and she mentioned that one of her boys works at the grocery store, too. It made me feel better at the time, but not so much today.

My brother-in-law is a nurse at a local hospital and he's even more vulnerable to all of this, but he can't just quit his career.

Thanks for listening. Any feedback is appreciated.

puzzle1mom is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

Difficult Situation
Old 03-26-2020, 06:51 PM

How does your son feel about working with these risks?
1956BD is offline   Reply With Quote

puzzle1mom

Old 03-26-2020, 06:58 PM

To tell you the truth, he hasn't really complained about going in. He only works about 3 - 4 hours at a time.
puzzle1mom is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

Talk to him
Old 03-26-2020, 07:04 PM

See how he feels about all this and then make the decision that will give you the most peace of mind. If you do decide to have him stop working I don't think that will hurt his ability to get a job in the future. These health conditions make it a special conditions for quitting.

If you talk with his manager ask if he could maybe do stocking only or another job where he is not dealing directly with customers.

Good luck to your entire family. Stay well.
1956BD is offline   Reply With Quote

Beach Glass

Work
Old 03-26-2020, 07:05 PM

Our daughter lives with us and is a CNA with a home health company. We, too, are concerned for her, her clients, and ourselves.

DH and I socially distanced ourselves weeks ago in deference to her and her job. Obviously, we still are - Even more so.

When she returns home, she enters the house through a door that leads more directly to her room. She takes off her clothes, places them in a bag, and goes immediately to the shower. The clothes are then thrown in the washer. I am thankful she has time to come home and do that between clients.

She keeps a pair of shoes just for wearing at the client’s home and sprays them w Lysol.

In her kit, she carries gloves, wipes, hand sanitizer, and Lysol spray. She has some masks that she wears if provides a client personal care, for she would be within 6 feet.

We’re doing what we can and hope it is enough.

Beach Glass is offline   Reply With Quote

RetiredKat

Old 03-26-2020, 07:10 PM

One of my great-nieces is staying with her grandmother because she is medically fragile. My niece-in-law is a nurse working in a hospital so she felt it prudent to be separated.
RetiredKat is online now   Reply With Quote

SDT

Old 03-26-2020, 07:23 PM

Things are very different from one place to another. As a nurse, your brother-in-law is going to be more familiar with the situation in your town. Call him and ask his advice about your son continuing to work. And while you’re talking to him, please tell him how much we all appreciate the sacrifices that he and his coworkers are making.
SDT is online now   Reply With Quote

daljcl

Old 03-27-2020, 04:34 AM

I know how you feel. DD is a social worker for mobile response and up until about a week ago still had to go out on calls. No protection provided just a stool to hold interventions outside..... Now four people in office have tested positive for virus.

She always does the same thing as post above, comes home clothes in washer and straight into shower. She has been self quarrentining in her bedroom. When 14 days are up, she starts new job at hospital so I'll still be nervous. She is scheduled to be on the cardiac floor but who knows now.

daljcl is offline   Reply With Quote

gradymidget

Old 03-27-2020, 05:09 AM

Puzzle1mom,
This has been a concern of mine with my teenage daughter too. Once the schools in our state closed, she started working more hours at her job. Like you, once she has arrived back home from work she has immediately thrown her work clothes in the washer and then jumped into the shower. I asked her how she felt about working. She said she would prefer not to until this pandemic passes. I was feeling the same way. Because of my age, I am considered high risk although I am healthy with no medical issues. So my daughter will finish out this week and already told her boss that she can no longer work for awhile. Her boss was understanding. And although our school district is not doing online learning, my daughter is taking two community college classes that have gone online so those classes are keeping her busy. My recommendation is that you do what is best for your son and your family.

Last edited by gradymidget; 03-27-2020 at 06:19 AM..
gradymidget is offline   Reply With Quote

Youthcantknow

Old 03-27-2020, 05:26 AM

I totally get it. My daughter and two of my sons-in-law are still considered essential workers and I worry every day. Their jobs aren't able to institute social distancing measures. I think it sounds like your son is taking the precautions he can. We can only make the best decisions for ourselves day-by-day in this totally unprecedented situation. Keep the lines of communication open with him and if there comes a time that you feel it's no longer in his best interests, take action then. For now, don't worry about others' opinions because none of us really know what we're doing!

Youthcantknow is offline   Reply With Quote

gradymidget

Old 03-27-2020, 06:30 AM

I want to add that it took my 23 year old daughter to really put things into perspective for us. She said since my younger daughter is in contact with the public at her job, it is not worth her working and risking getting the virus. My younger daughter also has asthma and iron deficient anemia which hospitalized her this past summer. After considering everything, we decided for our family it was better she not work. Luckily for my older daughter, she is not in contact with the public and is able to work. Let’s just say she is in an isolated community of 500 people. Also our state is the fifth highest in diagnosed cases. I wish the best for your son and your family. It really is a hard decision to make.
gradymidget is offline   Reply With Quote