The Job Search

Preparing for K-5 interview

>

Seacrew

Preparing for K-5 interview
Old 04-22-2019, 12:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello-

I found this forum a few weeks ago and have enjoyed reading the forum.

A short back story- I taught a decade ago in K-1, then moved to a Title 1 position for several years. Then, I took time off to be with my kids. Several years ago I took a part-time job to get back into the district- it's not a teaching position but it got me back in.

I am at the point where I really need a change of pace- I want back into teaching. Since my district is smaller- I honestly need to prepare for what comes open and I am open to K-5 positions. Obviously, most of my experience was in primary but the thought of working with older students sounds exciting too.

So-
How do I prepare myself to be interviewed at any grade level (K-5)? It's been a while since I've had to think about routines, procedures, and management. And are there any websites or books to get me thinking about teaching grades 3-5 since I have had minimal experience with those levels? I feel like a newbie almost, but I'm not coming fresh off my degree so I don't know what people would suggest!

Thanks for any advice or thoughts!

Seacrew is offline   Reply With Quote

cruxian

Old 04-27-2019, 05:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Are you in a position within the district that would allow you to observe teachers, especially in areas that you are less familiar with? Can you observe, chat, sit in on planning periods?
cruxian is offline   Reply With Quote

Seacrew

Old 04-29-2019, 02:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

That's an interesting idea- just don't know if I can do it with the time left- and I don't have easy access to a classroom at the location I am at. However, this did make me think of someone I know who moved to a classroom this year (4/5th grade) that I'm still friendly with- maybe I can touch base with her! Otherwise, I've been looking over standards in grades 3-5 and getting familiar with them a bit.
Seacrew is offline   Reply With Quote

basketball777

Old 05-09-2019, 03:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Google How to answer typical elementary teacher interview questions and some articles will pop up....with tips for specific questions. Also google sample elementary teacher interview questions and lists will pop up. Then you can google specific questions for tips such as how to answer what is your philosophy in teaching etc. this has helped me!
basketball777 is offline   Reply With Quote