Help

First Grade

character education that works

>

parkermak

character education that works
Old 09-14-2019, 07:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I teach in an urban charter school in Flint Michigan. I really need to find a program that works for character education. Our kids are mean to each other. They tell you the right thing to do and go back to the wrong thing every time. This is true in students from k-6. Any suggestions will work.
Thanks

parkermak is offline   Reply With Quote

imcrazedw4

Not a program but...
Old 09-22-2019, 08:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

when I taught fourth grade in a rough neighborhood many years ago we used to have "Family Time" once a week. We had a little snack and sat in a circle. The kids would share a good thing they saw someone do or thanked someone for something. No backhanded compliments were allowed. Most of the time it was just things like, "Thank you, Lisa, for loaning me a pencil". But every year we would have someone start opening up and we'd start getting really authentic, meaningful conversations.

I left that school district years ago but a good friend of mine stayed and recently told me that she'd been using Family Time group discussions with her sixth graders all these years. She really thinks it helps drive home all of the lecturing that we adults give to students. When they hear true appreciation from fellow classmates, it suddenly makes it real.
imcrazedw4 is offline   Reply With Quote

parkermak

Old 09-23-2019, 04:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

That's encouraging to hear. I recently saw something on Pinterest that was similar. This was compliment circles. You start giving compliments on silly stuff like clothes or shoes and the person says then after awhile kids start genuinely giving each other compliments.
parkermak is offline   Reply With Quote