Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Meanwhile in Tokyo

>

twin2

Meanwhile in Tokyo
Old 03-25-2020, 04:27 PM

This happened again. The good thing is, my son doesn't eat much. The bad thing is, he has to eat something.

My son sent this picture a friend took. I can't read Japanese so I have no idea just what was stocked on those shelves, just that it is a grocery store.

The government is talking about a voluntary lockdown in Tokyo. People started buying everything. My daughter in law is going out to see if she can find some toilet paper. When the virus first hit the city, my son and daughter in law were unable to find toilet paper in the stores and like here, other necessities, including food, flew off the shelves. Things quieted down and the stores replenished their stock. Now it has started all over again.

Attachment

Sign in to view attachment. Not a member? Sign Up FREE
twin2 is offline   Reply With Quote

klarabelle

Old 03-25-2020, 04:49 PM

That does not look good at all. I hope the shelves will be able to be stocked in the next couple of days.
klarabelle is offline   Reply With Quote

Starr

Old 03-25-2020, 04:51 PM

That is truly scary.
Hope they are able to find what they need.
I guess because I've read a lot of non-fiction WW II books, that's the comparison that inevitably comes to mind these days. People really starved. We think that's all in the past, I hope and pray that it is.
Starr is offline   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 03-25-2020, 04:51 PM

The situation illustrates how the virus can come and go depending on just how well people self isolate. I hope your son and dil find the needed supplies.
anna is offline   Reply With Quote

twin2

Old 03-25-2020, 05:12 PM

One of the things my son likes about Tokyo is there are so many stores and markets within walking distance. People there don't tend to stock up. They just go to the store and buy what they need as they need it. The first time my son came home to visit with his Japanese wife, she laughed and took a picture of our huge shopping cart. It is strange to her that we load up a huge shopping cart on a weekly basis. That's what makes this panic situation so bad. They'll be fine, but they weren't prepared for this. She is pregnant and they have a toddler, so it is even more important they have the right kinds of food. Her parents live in the same building so they can all pull resources. That makes me feel better. Like here, the stores will restock. It is upsetting but we're all going through this to some degree.

BioAdoptMom3

Old 03-25-2020, 06:49 PM

I hope they are restocking like our stores do! Interesting about the TP there too!

Nancy
BioAdoptMom3 is offline   Reply With Quote

mhugs

food
Old 03-25-2020, 08:02 PM

Hope your son can get food.

DD in Germany has been on a stay at home situation for about a month now with no end in sight. They can only go out food shop She says she gets nasty looks at her full cart but she is buying for 6 people plus gets the food to take to her 80 MIL who has bad health.Her MIL remembers being so hungry as a child during WW2. DD has storage space and a larger than normal European fridge so she only goes to shop every two weeks.
mhugs is offline   Reply With Quote

Beagles

Old 03-25-2020, 08:31 PM

Looks like instant noodle aisle. I can only see one label clearly- yakisoba and instant ramen.
Beagles is offline   Reply With Quote

twin2

Beagles
Old 03-26-2020, 07:21 AM

That's interesting, kind of funny. Ramen of any kind is my daughter in law's favorite, so if she were to stock up, she probably would go for the ramen too. My son would probably go for the pork or chicken instead.

MAsped

Old 03-26-2020, 10:07 AM

Aww, that's too bad. No TP there either. And I was just watching a Youtuber the other day in Canada and there's no TP there hardly either.

MAsped is offline   Reply With Quote