Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

What would be safer?

>

TeaPro

What would be safer?
Old 03-25-2020, 07:26 PM

Would it be safer to order groceries and pick them up in the parking lot, or to go during senior hour?
If I shop I'd wear gloves and I'd be the only one touching my things. If I order and pick up someone else would touch my things, but I wouldn't be around other people in the store, and this is primarily an air- born virus. Thoughts?

TeaPro is offline   Reply With Quote

Quack!

Shopping
Old 03-25-2020, 07:35 PM

My issue lately with ordering and pickup is that the store is not able to fulfill my order and I have had quite a few things not available. I've decided it's better for me to just go into the store so that I can see what is available and decide on an alternative if needed.
Quack! is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

I believe
Old 03-25-2020, 07:44 PM

it is safer to stay in your car and have the groceries brought to you because you are not touching the cart, the counters, the check out stand.... Plus you are not close to other people.

Our grocery store is even allowing people to not sign for curbside pick up or delivery. So less contact there is good.

Either way curbside, home delivery or shopping in store the foods and packaging still has to be sanitized when you get home.
1956BD is offline   Reply With Quote

mhugs

Shopping
Old 03-25-2020, 07:46 PM

Next time we do the Senior Hour we will use the self scan and bag ourselves so no one but the stock people have touched our stuff.
I HATE self-scanning, but think it is wise at this time.

I took my own wipes to clean down the cart. Governor put a ban on people taking in their own bags. We have to use the store's plastic throw away bags.
mhugs is offline   Reply With Quote

sonoma

Old 03-25-2020, 07:58 PM

Check availability of the products you need. Our stores do not allow pick up or delivery for in demand items like cleaning supplies and paper goods. You can only get them by going into the store. And hope they havenít already sold out

sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote

rana712

I think
Old 03-26-2020, 03:59 AM

it depends on how picky you are about your groceries. I do not buy much that is packaged or processed, but I have definite feelings about what kind of melon I buy and am SUPER picky about bananas. It has taken over 30 years for me to teach DH the optimal banana ripeness requirement. Ha, ha.

My plan is to go to the store, be super focused. Sanitize cart handle, touch as little as possible. Stay away from people as much as possible and sanitize hands when I get home.

I may opt to go to the co-op as they have far less traffic than the regular grocery store.
rana712 is offline   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 03-26-2020, 04:20 AM

Many people have already touched or coughed on the items sitting on shelves in the store. In addition ,should you enter the store you are further exposing yourself to people,who will cough . The droplets from this coughing can stay in the air and float around. Stay away from people and limit your exposure .
That being said many curbside pickups are not efficient right now due to lack of products in the store and the amount of customers wanting the service.
If you have to shop,go in the store infrequently . Choose the least busy time and stock up for a few weeks at a time.
anna is offline   Reply With Quote

overthemoon

Old 03-26-2020, 04:33 AM

I am finding that my Safeway store is the best stocked and also opens at 5:00 a.m. This seems to be the time to go. There are few people in the store and I get what I need. I usually keep my gloves on in the store and use self check out. I tried going to Giant during senior hour but found that to be quite crowded as all of the seniors take advantage of it. My daughter has also had good luck going late at night. I am more of an early bird, though.
overthemoon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tori58

Old 03-26-2020, 06:52 AM

I think pick-up is safer but I'm still planning to shop during senior hours because of uncertainty about availability of items. If there's one thing I can't get, there may be 2-3 other things I don't need because I can't make that recipe. Or there may be a substitute that will work if I can get it. But I can't communicate those things to the person who is packing my order.

BUT I am in an area that hasn't been too hard hit yet. I may opt for pick-up, or even delivery, if/when it gets worse here.
Tori58 is offline   Reply With Quote

TeaPro

Old 03-26-2020, 08:18 AM

Thank you all for your ideas. I went to my local Kroger brand store during the senior hour. I was kind of scared- I live in Washington state. But I thought I'd have a better chance of getting some items first thing in the morning. I followed all of your advice and wore gloves, brought my own wipes, etc. They had TP and meat, but no rice, pasta, flour, or oatmeal. Very little in the way of canned fruits or veggies, so I bought fresh. I'm going to soak and scrub my apples and cook the veggies, but not sure how to disinfect bananas, lettuce, or blackberries.

It's time consuming. I just worked on the things that needed to go in the frig or freezer for now, showered, and put my clothes in the washer. Whew. I will have a fun afternoon disinfecting and getting things put away, then I am good for 3-4 weeks or more.

TeaPro is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

I Think Bananas are a good choice
Old 03-26-2020, 02:01 PM

wash the bananas with soap and water. The inside part is protected by the peel.
I peel the whole banana and throw the peel away. Then I wash my hands before eating the fruit.

Berries was gently with just water.

I would slice the lettuce in half and then soak the lettuce in vinegar and water for a few minutes. Then rinse and drain before eating.
1956BD is offline   Reply With Quote