Help

Fifth Grade

"Schooled" and "Sideways Stories of Wayside School"

>

gunther922

"Schooled" and "Sideways Stories of Wayside School"
Old 07-31-2011, 11:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I just ordered these books recommended by a friend. Just curious who may have read these? Your thoughts as to which one would be the better read aloud for beginning of school? Thanks for any advice!

gunther922 is offline   Reply With Quote

trexteach

Old 07-31-2011, 11:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have a copy of Schooled, but I've not read it yet, so I can't speak to that one. I have read Sideways Stories many times, and I really like it, but it was usually when I taught 2nd grade. I've read it once to my 5th graders, but it was just because we wanted to hear something silly. Not silly in a bad way, just, in my opinion, geared toward a younger audience.

Others may disagree with me, but I wouldn't start the year out with that one.

Last edited by trexteach; 07-31-2011 at 11:50 AM.. Reason: spell fix
trexteach is offline   Reply With Quote
awesome bok

awesome bok

love reading it
Old 07-31-2011, 12:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I LOVE Wayside school and usually start the year out with it. I have read it to fifth graders and they loved it!! They went and found all of the other books in the series.

shellea

Tough choice! IMO...
Old 07-31-2011, 12:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

both are really good books!

I have used Wayside Stories after Christmas when teaching 4th grade and plan to begin the year with it for one of my rotation groups, as I am moving up to 5th grade this year. The students generally read the other books in the series and/or seek out other books by Sachar.

We also complete a Sideways Stories free write based on one of the "stories" and I allow the students to create a comic strip of their favorite chapter. We also double bubble map the 2 teachers, Mrs. Gorf and Ms. Jewls. Another activity we perform: the students make a picture poster of their favorite story; we hang these around the room or present them to the class; and the students try to guess which chapter the poster represents. NO WORDS ALLOWED

I haven't read "Schooled" aloud, but have suggested it to several students. Korman also has several other books that students generally read after beginning with this title.

Both are what I like to refer to as "gateway books," so I am of the feeling that you can't go wrong with either on I suggest you read them yourself and choose the book to which you can connect the most, so that you can convey your passion for reading while reading it to the class.
shellea is offline   Reply With Quote

trasie

I read
Old 07-31-2011, 01:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Sideways Stories from Wayside School to my fourth grade students for many years as my first read aloud. They loved it and would often look for the other Wayside books.

Sorry, I haven't read Schooled.

trasie is offline   Reply With Quote

ilteacher

Old 07-31-2011, 02:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Schooled! I love the book. Good message, lots of things you can talk to kids about as far as character. I like it because it isn't the typical "new kids gets bullied" story. It is really about how we all could be the "bully" even we aren't trying to be.

I love Wayside School and usually use that as a read aloud the week of our state testing. A lot less serious. Although last year my group didn't like it a lot. They felt it was too little kidish....I still love it!
ilteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

SchuAnn

Wayside School!
Old 07-31-2011, 05:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

My fifth graders loved this book last year! I read it as a read aloud and then the kids fussed over who could read it first when we were done! I have purchased several copies from garage sales over the summer to make sure this doesn't happen again! The other books in the series are good as well. This was not my first read aloud, but it wouldn't be a bad choice at the beginning of the year.
SchuAnn is offline   Reply With Quote

gunther922

Thank you all for responses! This is a
Old 07-31-2011, 06:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

tough decision! Once I receive them I will read them both and then decide. Thanks so much for your input, I really appreciate it.
gunther922 is offline   Reply With Quote

vttraveler

Wayside School Readers Theater
Old 07-31-2011, 06:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Just an FYI that Aaron Shepard has adapted Wayside stories into short Readers Theater scripts. I used them with my combined group of 4-6th grade students, and they loved them. Just google him. He has his own website, and it is free to download his scripts!
vttraveler is offline   Reply With Quote