Help

Intervention & Title I Services

Poll: How long before seeing kids?

>

MrsM

Poll: How long before seeing kids?
Old 08-30-2007, 11:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

This has recently come up among classroom teachers in my district. As a Title I teacher (not Reading Recovery) I collect test data from the classroom teachers, from which to make my list, then start seeing kids. It is usually about 4 weeks into the school year before I start. I have to screen new students by the same instruments our own students had taken at the end of the previous year, and compile the data and sort by most need. Once I have all the data, I have to schedule a meeting for teachers to schedule times, and I have to send home letters to parents to notify them I'm seeing their child in Title I. This is one grade level, typically numbering between 230 and 270 students. I'm just wondering if the timing is similar at your school, or if you have the pressure to begin seeing students much sooner. All answers are appreciated.

MrsM is offline   Reply With Quote

readerabbit

Title 1
Old 08-30-2007, 12:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I understand exactly where you are coming from. 5 years ago we had time to test the kids do the scheduling then if we started after Labor Day that was good. Now the teachers and the Title people think you can blink your eyes and BOOM you have a class list everyone is tested and schedules are done including mandatory parent meeting. This year I just went to last year schedule and said you had this time last year let's just keep it the same this year. Lucky no one disagreed. I don't think THEY understand how important it is to evaluate and make sure the students are serviced the best of our abilities. Which is hard to do if you
are pushed to quickly to get started. SO I share your pain and frustration. Then I had another Title peer from another school where one of the administrators refused to let her contact the parents to explain the program that the students were going to be in yet the Title people mandate that you talk to parents and get them involved in their child's learning and create a bridge for communication. Hope things work out!
readerabbit is offline   Reply With Quote

looping

Title I Services in October
Old 08-30-2007, 01:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

For the month of September our Title I math and reading staff will be doing test prep with those students identified as "on the cusp" of scoring proficient. The annual state testing then happens in October. The majority of these students we will be working with are not Title I.

By the time the tests themselves are done- its mid October and Title I services then begin- hopefully.
looping is offline   Reply With Quote

LaVerne

I hear you!
Old 08-30-2007, 01:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Hello and welcome back to the school year!

I am only in my 2nd year at Title I Reading, but have had 20+ in regular ed. In my state, I need 3 'number' scores for placement in Title for grades 3-5. I deal with about 350 students and our Catholic school, which has around 75 in those levels.

I have been reading a story, talking about our reading incentive program for all students, and giving the reading placement test from our reading series all week- Tuesday through Friday. Then I will have to correct that (multiple pages) and put it together with their last's years report card grade and final reading test grade from last year to make up my groups. The lower level Title teacher can use more teacher referral for placement, although she also does a placement test.

I was able to start groups by week 3 of school last year. I am shooting for that as well.

I tried scheduling time slots already this year. We will see how that goes. It is probably NOT such a good idea, because I may have 5 students in one class and none in another class. Our scheduling is a real NIGHTMARE and our principal is NO help. Then of course, I have to schedule about 50 minutes at our Catholic school, luckily only a couple of blocks away.

We also have some teachers who are quite understanding and the lovely group that complain all the time. Having been on the other side of the fence, I had more trouble with the real needy special ed students who didn't leave my classroom for a couple of weeks or two. These are the ones that I NEEDED help with. The time with me sometimes was wasted because they couldn't do the work. I never minded NOT losing my Title kids until whenever our reading person was ready.
LaVerne is offline   Reply With Quote

TeacherKari

Almost 4 Weeks
Old 08-30-2007, 07:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Mrs. M,
This is my first year to Title I Reading and your posts have been so encouraging to read, so thank you. My district is small, but I only have to test one section of each grade--our other elementary is in another town with 2-3 sections of each grade. We are nearing the end of our first full week and I am about halfway through my testing. My mentor is the other Title I teacher and she warned me about teachers pressuring me about getting times set up for students to come and see me. I was planning to begin with my students next week, which would be our 2nd full week, but that has gotten pushed back another week. My school uses scores from the spring DRA and winter ITBS and then I have to screen using QRI+4. I'm really slow at it, so that's why it's probably taking me longer. I have been spending about 45 minutes with each student. I can't imagine spending as much time on testing like as you must with your number of students. Keep posting!

TeacherKari is offline   Reply With Quote

MrsM

I'd love to hear from more of you
Old 08-31-2007, 02:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Thanks to you who have replied here. I know I have helped to streamline the process to be able to start meeting with students by the 4th week. Every couple of years we are having to defend the use of current data to make our eligibility lists, and the federal requirements of contacting parents, etc. takes time.

I know we are not out of line and I'm hoping to hear from more of you, whether your timing is similar to ours or not.

Scheduling is something I'm not fond of either, and it takes more time. Because I have more teachers than time slots, I have to combine groups, but until I know which teachers have few students coming to me, I don't know which to combine, which all brings me back to the fact that all the test data has to be in to be able to start the process. Once I know who the students are, and the teachers have their own lists in hand, I can schedule in a 10-minute meeting by gathering the classroom teachers (hardest part, usually a few forget), listing the possible times on the white board, and tell them to speak for the one they want. I let the teachers who have few students and therefore must combine with another be the first ones to speak up, since two schedules have to blend well and there could be only one common time slot that works. Then the letters go to parents. Then the time delay for the mail to arrive and the parent questions and/or refusals of service.

At any rate, your answers are helping me to know we aren't out of line, and other districts are facing the same timing and obstacles we face. Thanks!

readerabbit

thinking
Old 08-31-2007, 08:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I do not think the regular teachers realizes or respects the time and frustration of
scheduling. Their only concern is "Are you going to mess up their little world. When I was in regular classroom I didn"t have a problem shifting times around knowing my students were getting the help they needed. However, isn't it funny once your programs begin and children are really at risk mid year "they are knocking your door down". Have you experienced this?
I am glad "us Title people are matching our programs and issues" There is also the other thing. I don't know about ya but I feel like I have 2 bosses.
Title and the principal. What about ya?

Last edited by readerabbit; 08-31-2007 at 03:50 PM.. Reason: rewording
readerabbit is offline   Reply With Quote

LaVerne

principal
Old 08-31-2007, 09:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I wish I had a principal....he is in charge of the budgeting, reporting,etc in our Title program. He is too busy sitting on his office chair to know what is really going on...he wondered if I gave placement tests or if I had to give them every year. HELLO!! My 2nd year and now I am the expert.

One thing is appears that I am allowed to do that it sounds like others of you are not is to bring a student into Title, send home my permission slip, and work with him/her for a few days until the slip comes back. I do not need the slip first before I can begin help. It must come back SOON but not prior to beginning. Also, the regular classroom teacher informs the parent of Title placement, not me. I send home info about Title once I have the student, though.
LaVerne is offline   Reply With Quote

MrsM

Old 08-31-2007, 10:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I do often wonder if an issue is something I take to my principal or my director. It has changed from year to year whether my observations are by director or principal. Basically, if the issue involves the federal program itself, I ask the director but if it involves how we interpret the services in our building, I go to my principal. I'm getting better at knowing who to ask. For most day-to-day things, my principal is considered to be my boss.

For notification, I send a letter stating their child has been included in Title I, what the program involves, and I wait a few days. I usually start groups about 3 days after mailing the letter. We assume permission unless a protest is heard from the parent. Most of them want to be sure their child isn't missing classroom work.

Readerrabbit, I've had teachers wonder why so-and-so didn't qualify, but I have the fed. regulation to fall back on, that students are all screened by the same instruments to determine eligibility. If they happen to score well, they won't be served. In past years I've had so many who qualified that I had a waiting list, and inevitably some would move away or graduate and I had room to add some. I teach reading only, and teachers will tell me I should see a student because he just can't write....and I just look at them. I know it's connected, but we didn't screen for writing, we screened for reading.

Susan/IN

Old 08-31-2007, 12:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I have never been asked to test ALL new students, although this year my colleague who is doing 2nd grade (I'm doing only first) has taken it upon herself to test all new students. I'm guessing the reason is so she doesn't have to start with kids as quickly, although I have heard from a couple of the 2nd grade teachers that most of their new students do seem to be low. If, as time goes along, and the teacher decides that indeed a student is low, then I will go back and screen with the Observation Survey, then put that child on my waiting list. I basically go by the spring ranking sheet and filter in the new students. Our Title program continues to decrease in size, not because of lack of students who qualify, but because we have neither the space nor the funding to fully implement. I have gone from a full size classroom to work from to a small office that only allows me to have about 4 students at a time, so my roster is pretty small. When I came to the building I'm currently in 7 years ago (I have been a Title I teacher since 1978) there was one teacher and 2 assistants and we served grades 1-3. The next year we added another teacher, but both of us took Reading Recovery training. We are now down to 2 teachers and no assistants, serving only grades 1 and 2. I began seeing my Reading Recovery students last week, small groups on Thursday, and going into two first grade classrooms a week for an hour a day. I am in one room 3 days and the other room 3 days. Yes, I really can add, but we are on a new 6 day schedule due to a new unified arts schedule (DON'T ASK). The next week I go into the other two first grade rooms, then the process starts all over. I manage to have my pull out kids at the same time every day I see them, which is 4 days out of the six. I have been fairly fortunate not to have teachers complain about the scheduling because I simply tell them - first come first serve and they must give me 2 times that are workable for them. If they are late in getting their schedule turned in, they get what's left. And if they haven't followed my directions, I've been known to give their scedule requests back to them. Sounds kind of hard-nosed, but that's just the way it is. Most of the teachers I work with are very agreeable and we don't seem to have much of a problem.

Susan/IN is offline   Reply With Quote

treetoad

title starts...
Old 06-22-2008, 01:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

title starts on day 1 in our system for students who have been in the program and no students on Friday's for one month. Additional testing is done on Friday's for new students or one's teachers are concerned about. In kdg. kids are identfied after the first Dibels unless identified from preschool.
treetoad is offline   Reply With Quote

beachnut

when to start groups
Old 09-26-2008, 10:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

We(Title I teachers at my school) feel the same pressures. We are a targeted assisted Title I school and in our planning year to become schoolwide next year. Our eligibility list begins with lower quartile students (those that received D's, F's or M's, N's on their last report card the previous year in Reading or Math and students that failed SOLS-our state's standardized test). Then we WAIT for teachers to complete their reading and math assessments (DRA and PALS for our system). Points are assigned for grades, SOL scores, high absence rate, etc. and then students are ranked within each grade level. It sounds confusing, but it's not that bad. During the first several weeks of school, we are collecting required data, making phone calls to schools of new students to get data, and assisting teachers with some of the one on one testing. We have 2 Title I Reading teachers and 1 and 1/2 Title I Math teachers.
beachnut is offline   Reply With Quote