Help

Career Decisions

I Need Advice!!

>

renaej

I Need Advice!!
Old 08-22-2009, 04:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have been teaching at this school for two weeks now. I have tried to have a positive outlook, but each day has gotten worse. The classroom that I was assigned to looks like a storage room. I have nothing to work with; the overhead projector, printer, Promethean board, microscopes, etc are all out of order! I haven't had any assistance, nor have I been presented with my contract. The students are very disruptive. I have tried everything possible. I have sent students to the office, talked to parents, etc; nothing works. They have no recess, and the special education students feel that they can take over the class. They cause disruptions, and one even told me that he will do no work because he's going to pass anyway! I was shocked and appalled, but they know how it works. Anyway, I am thinking of resigning immediately, do you think this is the right choice? This job has me questioning whether I want to teach at all!

renaej is offline   Reply With Quote

lucky

Let's be calm
Old 08-22-2009, 06:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

and remember it's only been two weeks. Are you an experienced teacher? (Sorry, I sometimes can't remember what board I'm on). If you are new to teaching, then welcome. This is the way it is. No one realizes if they're not in the profession that sometimes all you are given is 4 walls and that's it. I remember my first year. I was assigned to a room that had nothing, not even the things you say you have. I also was given a 4/5 split of the worst kids on campus (the other teachers told me so). It is so so sad that universities never tell you about the HELL you will most likely encounter your first couple of years in teaching. Here are some tips:
  1. Do not let the SP kids take over. Hold them accountable just as you would the regular ed students.
  2. Have your clear expectations and objectives posted and go over them.
  3. You may have to put aside your lessons until you regain control of the class. You can't teach a thing without some sort of control. And that's what your administrators will look for. Classroom control.
  4. As soon as your class hits the door, make sure they know what to do and just stand there, like a stone until they comply. You will have several that will begin what they are supposed to be doing, so quietly thank them. Say, "Thank you Jennifer for getting right to work. Thank you Jose." And continue with this. It is amazing how well this little thing works. And believe me, I teach in one of the roughest schools in CA's central valley.
Try this. See if it helps. I will try to check back with you every couple of days. Don't quit yet. There is so much good advise on PT that I know someone can help you.

Lucky
lucky is offline   Reply With Quote

lv2read

Demand to see your contract!
Old 08-23-2009, 11:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Hang in there and don't quit. Teaching is tough and you have to maintain control or the students will continue to walk all over you.

Have you signed a contract? I did this on my first day of work at the beginning of the day. I highly recommend that you demand one from the administrator and read every bit of it. Have a Union rep go over it w/you if you have concerns.

I'm curious, why is it that your class has no recess? Is it because of their behavior or are they too old for this? Kids need to get up an move and frankly teachers need a break from the kids. Consider trying lessons that have the students move.
lv2read is offline   Reply With Quote

teachersue

Old 09-07-2009, 04:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I agree with Lucky...You need to possibly forget about lessons until the class behavior is under control. Along with Lucky's ideas, ask the kids' previous teachers what worked for them? Look up ideas for whole classroom management such as marble jar, points for extra recess, etc. Pick one or two you can stick to and be consistent. As far as the SPED kids, talk to their case carrier about how best to support them and their behavior.

I teach middle school SPED math and still use whole class rewards plus individual rewards to control behavior.

As far as your contract, ask the principal or call personnel and see what's the hold up.
teachersue is offline   Reply With Quote