Career Decisions

levels of teaching

>

peonyflower

peonyflower

levels of teaching
Old 10-01-2009, 07:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I had no idea where to post this so I hope this is a good spot for it.

I went into teaching because I love learning and I believe in the education system. It got my parents out of poverty and it has given me an invaluable window out of my little town that I grew up in. Since I was younger, I've also always loved kids. In high school I had to do some volunteer hours and what do you know? I chose to volunteer for a preschool education program at a local school. So it was not a surprise to everyone when I decided to become an elementary school teacher.

However, here is the problem. Even though I like the children, I am "bored" to death with what I am teaching them. I never really gave it much thought of what I would be teaching them, but rather that I would be working with them. I find myself thinking that this cannot be what I am supposed to be doing? Teaching about adjectives, how to read simple books, basic addition/subtraction......I know it is all new to them and I do learn alot and teaching the basics refreshes some of my memory. But I do not find the level of content that interesting. Some of you may be wondering, well what the heck did you think you would be teaching them? Advanced Calculus?

I am now wondering, if I found a higher level subject that I find challenging and interesting if that would make a difference in how I feel about teaching? I've always been interested in English literature or Government/Economics. Would teaching one favorite subject change the way I feel about teaching? Now if I do this, I would be teaching the "big kids". I never had a fondness for bigger kids than the younger ones. Nothing against the older children but I have just never thought about it until now. But I am bored wth the level that I am teaching.

Has anyone switched? Does it make a difference?

multigrade

I don't care for big kids, either.
Old 10-04-2009, 06:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I've always been drawn to the younger ones.
I teach a 1/2 split class and we cover LOTS of things which aren't in the curriculum.

To me, real education is a dialog, not filing in workbook pages.

Example: During a recent Writer's Workshop, we spent a week writing and illustrating a book about something that happened when we were little. I told them my story, then drew and wrote about it every day as an example. I told of the time I was their age and we lived in FL and was told to not play in a grassy area. I wasn't told WHY I shouldn't play there--snakes and alligators. I was just told NOT TO PLAY THERE. Well, I disobeyed and my father drove by and I tried to hide in the grass. Yes, I was disciplined and I remember it! My father was trying to protect me, not ruin my fun!
That book opened up a running conversation about such things.

Life is 'dialog' and our classrooms should be a reflection of that, as much as possible. Yes, I have a small class compared to many teachers, but that's the way I teach and a big part of who I am.

Have you tried to 'talk' to your kids, telling of something that happened to you when you were their age? You'll be surprised how it changes the atmosphere. I've even told of some of the things my children did when they were that young. (They are now college age and one is in Africa, which makes a great repeated geography lesson.)

I'm a 2nd career teacher and probably don't do things the way most would do them. Life is too short to waste time with boring adjectives for very young children! Yes, I cover that, but not to the exclusion of dialog.
multigrade is offline   Reply With Quote