How do you decide what you want to teach? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Career Decisions

How do you decide what you want to teach?

>

barbara s

barbara s

How do you decide what you want to teach?
Old 10-14-2009, 05:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm a career-changer (laid off from journalism). I originally trained in ed and am licensed for English (grades 6-12); I'm currently in grad school for a master's in ed (K-6). I'm also subbing, mostly in middle school--no calls from elem yet this year. I am struggling to decide what I want to be when I grow up(!). Which area do I want to pursue? I can debate it any number of ways.

For example, I'm enjoying middle school. The kids are fun, there's minimal prep (one or two classes only), it's great to delve deeply into one subject, etc. I could work within my licensure. But the pace is exhausting. It's difficult to keep the same focus and energy for those last two classes after lunch. I can't remember all the kids' names (about 125 each day). And the papers to grade--yikes. Now, think about elementary school--also terrific kids, lots of variety, the chance to work in many subjects, fun. And I was never this tired after working in elementary school as an assistant/sub. But there's all that prep to do. Meanwhile, I've had two sub jobs that I adored; one was teaching math, the other was working in an ESL resource room. I would do either one of those in a heartbeat. But to do them, I'd need even more training, and for ESL I'd probably have to speak Spanish too. (Although in this particular school, Korean would be more useful. Either way, I don't have the additional language.)

I'm outta time and money! I'm 57, and I'm already paying for grad school, and I'm unemployed except for the sub money. And let's be honest: I'm probably going to work only 10-15 years, and then I'll retire. So, I'd like to ask: How did you all decide which career path you chose? Which factors did you consider, and which swayed your choice? And for those of you who are "old" and/or laid-off like me, how have you managed to get additional training cheaply and quickly? Is it really worth considering, given my situation? Thanks in advance for your thoughtful counsel and insights.

multigrade

I didn't have to decide
Old 10-14-2009, 02:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I happened to be in the school office the day the 1st/2nd grade teacher quit! She quit on Friday and I started on Monday. It was a rough first few months, but I didn't have to
decide. That was last year and I'll soon be 50 yo.

I say, go for what you can do in the least amount of time. You really seem to enjoy teaching. Just go for it!
multigrade is offline   Reply With Quote

MandyPandy

Find the right school first
Old 01-08-2010, 05:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

You will be qualified to teach in a variety of situations, which is wonderful! Given the state of the economy, I'd honestly take whatever permanent position I could find in the school district I like. I've only been teaching for 1.5 years, but I can already tell that the climate in the school, the administrative support, the interactions with other teachers, etc. make so much difference. Find the school you want to work in, and take what they have for you, is my advice!
MandyPandy is offline   Reply With Quote