Help

Career Decisions

A Success Story

>

elisab1963

A Success Story
Old 11-08-2009, 10:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I don't usually go on this board, but thought I'd post my 2 cents. I went back to school for teaching over 20 years ago. I'd been working in corporate America, and hated every day I went to work. Once I got my degree, I got a teaching job and can honestly say although there have been bumps, it's the best decision I ever made. I always remember looking at an office building and thinking...I'm so lucky, I dont have to go to work today! But I was on my way to work. I know I'm doing something that makes a difference. No matter how hard it gets, I was never sorry. Now I'm two years from retirement!

elisab1963 is offline   Reply With Quote

mstngmom

Someday. . . .
Old 11-13-2009, 11:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Congratulations!
I hope that is me in 20 years. I also went back to school to become a teacher and i graduated last spring. Unfortunately, I am beginning to wonder if it was a waste of money because I can't find a job to save my life. I had to settle for subbing. I am begining to wonder what I will do if I don't find a job by the time my initial license expires. In my state you can only renew it for 1 year w/o moving on to the next level license.
Anyway, enough about me! Let me wish you an early Congratulations! on your retirement.
mstngmom is offline   Reply With Quote

sleepyeyed

Glad to hear that
Old 02-01-2010, 09:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Dear elisab1963, Glad to finally hear a success story. I am a career changer and Im trying to become a teacher and its been rare to find someone say that they actually like teaching.
I come from the corporate world and I really hated it. I found it utterly pointless. Same old thing everyday. And for what? Nothing. All my efforts at work did not make the world a better place.

I am looking fora career that will improve the world. But I dont know if I have the stamina for it. I read an article on another website and it said that if you want to be a teacher you have to be okay with injustices that occur everyday. And I am not okay with injustices.

So, I really dont know if teaching is right for me. But am trying to find out somehow.
sleepyeyed is offline   Reply With Quote