Unemployed Teacher looking at alternative career - resume help! - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Career Decisions

Unemployed Teacher looking at alternative career - resume help!

>

MIteacher86

Unemployed Teacher looking at alternative career - resume help!
Old 04-05-2010, 09:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Good afternoon,
I am very frustrated with the teaching market right now. I graduated with a BS in Elementary Education in Dec of 2008, landed a 5 month 3rd grade teaching job immediately upon my graduation, have been subbing here and there, landed another long term (maternity leave) for 2 months in a 2nd grade classroom, and have a 3rd long term scheduled for mid-April in a 1st grade class. However, all of the schools around here will be laying off *again* for the 2010-2011 school year and I feel like I have no other choice than to look for non-teaching jobs. My husband has an amazing career that keeps us where we are in Michigan, so we do NOT have the option of moving at this time. Subbing has gotten me by between my long term jobs, but I refuse to do it again next year. I generally work 2-3 days a week and that just won't cut it next year.

Does anyone have any alternative career ideas for unemployed teachers like myself? I will of course apply for lead teacher positions at local childcare centers, but am afraid of the low wages that will come with them. I don't mind the idea of leaving the education field, as long as I can make at least $15 an hour.

I was also wondering if anyone can suggest creative ways to make a teaching resume desirable for a non-teaching job (for clerical work, receptionist, etc...). My resume has extensive teaching experience, but of course I've never worked in an office before...

Thank you in advance!!

MIteacher86 is offline   Reply With Quote

LVinSC

Resume help...
Old 04-06-2010, 04:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I switched from clerical to teaching vs. what you are asking but I can tell you some of the skills that translate...

List all computer programs you are familiar with - esp. word processing like Word, spreadsheet programs like Excel, Power point, Publisher, Internet, search engines, etc.

Highlight your organizational skills (you would be shocked how many people can't alphabetize)

Discuss working under deadlines = time management & ability to prioritize

Typing skills (there are free typing tests online you can take to see how fast you can type)

Familiarity with a foreign language

Abililty to work with others (If you got an interview, discuss how you were able to handle a challenging parent, which translates to handling difficult customers.)

If you've ever chaired a committee, hosted an event, ran a training or meeting

Creativity - can be creating a lesson or creating a performance, display - shows you can think outside the box

One of the best ways I have found to get into clerical/administrative assistant work is to join a temp agency - or join 2 or 3 since different companies sign up with different temp agencies. It will give you experience and if you don't like an assignment you just tell the temp agency and they will place you somewhere else. The downside is you make less money than being hired directly by a company because they are paying a the temp agency a fee above your salary. The plus side is that I was hired on permanently for 3 companies that I temped for first. You can also continue to look for another job while you temp and if you are hired somewhere else, you just quit the temp agency.

Good luck! I moved from Michigan-my family still lives there-so I know how hard it is to find a job there right now.
LVinSC is offline   Reply With Quote

MIteacher86

Old 04-06-2010, 12:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thank you so much for your suggestions! I am still working on perfecting my business resume at this time and found your points to be very useful. Do you suggest actually displaying my words-per-minute score right on my resume?

Thank you for taking the time to respond with such detail; I greatly appreciate it!
MIteacher86 is offline   Reply With Quote

LVinSC

Glad I could help.
Old 04-07-2010, 07:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I wouldn't put the typing speed on your resume unless it specifically asks, but you can mention it in the interview or have a copy of your scores on hand to give them.

If you have any other questions, just let me know.
LVinSC is offline   Reply With Quote

MrsM

functional resume
Old 04-21-2010, 11:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

If you want to see examples of how such a resume is set up, do a search for "functional resume" and you'll see plenty. I'm also a transplant from Michigan. I had hoped to be able to move back "home" and teach, but I can see that when we move, I probably won't be teaching. Good luck! Any type of managerial position would be good, because you manage 25 little bodies with minds of their own when you teach!

MrsM is offline   Reply With Quote