Help

Career Decisions

Principal Status

>

su_cheer07

Principal Status
Old 10-08-2009, 12:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

My main goal for my future is to become a Principal. Does anyone know how many years I have to teach in order to become a Principal ? Also, are there any suggestions on what my major of study should be in graduate school ? Any other suggestions are also welcome !

su_cheer07 is offline   Reply With Quote

relaxing

Old 10-08-2009, 01:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

In our state, most schools require you to teach for 3 years before entering the educational leadership program. We have a separate program that is a master's program to become a principal. You do not have a choice of a major of study.
relaxing is offline   Reply With Quote

Peaches Pears

Old 10-09-2009, 01:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

In my province at least 5 years before able to take principal courses and preferably 10 - 15 years before appointment.
Sadly many of our principals and vice-principals do not have much depth of experience before they enter administration. Many enter with the 5 or 6 years teaching ----their inexperience makes it difficult for everyone. Glad we have unions.

It also depends on supply and demand. A few years ago about 60% of our admin retired over a 3 year period. That opened up a lot of jobs but those jobs won't open up again until this crop retires. Probably another 15 or so years.

A bit of an alarming trend in my area is the fact that experienced teachers are selecting not to go into administration. So I guess that partly explains why so many are relatively inexperienced.
Peaches Pears is offline   Reply With Quote

smurf

Principal message
Old 07-19-2010, 11:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

So you state that you come from a province --what part of Canada are you from?
I know I am wishing for a principal job and have 10 yrs of teaching as well as 20 years in the school office as the principal's secretary ...finding it very hard to beat out the young ones...not sure why? They have less experience teaching and in life but they are "fresh faces" and new ideas...however, I ahve new ideas and am energized and maybe that is what the system is going wrong? I just am not sure what to think!
Smurf
smurf is offline   Reply With Quote