Help

Career Decisions

career change:Update

>

ccarlton

career change:Update
Old 07-06-2009, 07:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

A couple months ago I posted about my career change. I shared with all of you that I was going to go to massage therapy school. I thought I would update all of you.

I was supposed to start school today, but dh and I came to the decision that we should hold off on it because he's making a couple changes to his business. He's bringing on his mom and stepdad to help us with some of the business stuff, packaging books mainly. He also has his sister doing bookkeeping for him. So we held off on my schooling because of the expense of paying his family to to do stuff. Doing this will allow dh to spend time working on other business aspects and work on an online game he's been working on for several years. We also held off on my schooling to make sure that his mom and stepdad can handle helping us with the business.

I am kind of having a hard time accepting this. I know this will help dh, but his mom and stepdad don't get along, they're married because otherwise they'd both be out on the street. I like his mom and stepdad fine, but I don't want to be in the house when they're here because they don't along with each other. To be honest, this whole business venture is becoming too consuming for me. I feel like I don't have something of my own to focus on. Which was why I was going to go back to school.

At this point, I'm not entirely certain that I want to do massage therapy. I've been thinking about maybe doing something like a Physical Therapy Assistant. The whole school thing is kind of tricky too. The one good reason for going back to school right away was that I'd have a new job in less than a year's time and that way if dh's business starts to go badly than we have a back up plan. If I delay going back to school and eventually decide to go back, then it could mean going to school for a longer period of time than I originally planned on, which scares me on the off chance that the business thing goes south. I don't want to go to school for several years either. My original school plan would have been less than a year, which is good, but it's also $13k.

I wish I knew what I wanted to do with my life, it hasn't been that long since I have stopped teaching, I probably have a little time to figure this all out, but I'm scared that I won't figure it out, and that things will all of a sudden go bad for us while I'm figuring out what to do.

I am confused and pretty much beside myself. The uncertainty puts me on edge everyday, and I feel lost not having something to call my own.

ccarlton is offline   Reply With Quote

whatever

Is his business doing well
Old 07-07-2009, 06:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

enough to pay these three extra people and still support you all?

If so, GREAT!! If not, what in the world is he thinking...It is very hard to work with family members anytime, let alone when they don't even get along with each other...

I cannot imagine the tension.

Find something you like to do and go do it. Or, get a dream job somewhere even if it is "fluff." Mine would be someplace like a library or book store or an artsy-fartsy type thing--not high pay but fulfilling in other ways.

My aunt did not have to work outside the home to contribute to hhld expenses but did it because she wanted to keep busy. She choose two seasonal jobs--in the summers, she worked at a local Museum and gift shop that she loved--in the winters, she worked at a retail shop for the Christmas season and loved having an employee discount there.
whatever is online now   Reply With Quote

Tching1

Everything happens for a reason
Old 07-15-2009, 04:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I would spend this time soul searching. Go and shadow several different people in many different fields. You never know what you might find appealing. I also thought I wanted to do Physical Ther., but once I observed for a few days, I realized it was not for me. Most places are very willing to come let you hang out if you explain that you are trying this as a possible career. In the meantime, hang in there and I am will pray that things work out for your family.
Tching1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Milyn

teaching
Old 07-30-2009, 12:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Have you thought about going back into teaching, but another school and maybe another grade? At least until DH's business gets better and you get the money to go back to school. You could save your teaching salary and put it away for school. This way you wouldn't have to wait until DH's business got better. PLUS you won't be in the house with your in-laws all day.

It is another option. After all, you already spent the time and money to get your teaching degree. Why not use it until you figure out what you want to do?
Milyn is offline   Reply With Quote

klarabelle

Old 08-21-2009, 02:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Have you thought about using your teaching degree in another field? Museums, H/R training, Text Books, etc. You could do much with your degree and not necessary need to teach.

klarabelle is offline   Reply With Quote