Converting back to teaching, I need your help! - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Career Decisions

Converting back to teaching, I need your help!

>

Converting

Converting

Converting back to teaching, I need your help!
Old 12-17-2009, 02:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

To all teachers, I need your help please! I am converting back to teaching... I have my degree in elementary education K-8 with endorsements in self-contained general education, mathematics, and language arts. After graduating college in 02', I substitute taught for a year during the day and served at a restaurant at night (had to do something else to pay the bills as subs do not get paid much). After a year of subbing I was so frustrated I started to look into other job fields. For the last 2-1/2 years I have been working sales at a company. I am so tired of working a desk job, entering data into a computer, and the b.s. that comes with the corporate world. I know my passion still lies in teaching and I am finally ready to do *whatever* it takes to land my dream job. I have updated my license and become a substitute with CPS (Chicago Public Schools) and surrounding districts as even substitute teaching is hard to get in Chicago. I am planning on quitting my business job come January (next month) and pursing teaching full time.

As of now, I will start with the substitute teaching in hopes to get my face and name within some school. Any other advise on how to find a full time teaching job and/or simply get an interview? Any resume advise on do's and don'ts? All advise is appreciated

Suspended

Driven2BG

Suspended

Old 12-18-2009, 08:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Don't quit your day job! It may be boring but it pays the bills. Here is what I would do:

1. Volunteer in C.P.S.; Mentor a child, tutor at an elementary school during lunch, etc.
2. Rearrange your schedule. If you work a normal 8- 5 p.m., I know that can be very hard in business, can you change your schedule to work 7 - 7 Monday - Thursday, then sub. on Friday.
3. Tutor for pay.
4. Try a charter school! As an individual with an LLC, I have been approached by charter schools, they love my real world experience.
Driven2BG is offline   Reply With Quote
Converting

Converting

Old 12-22-2009, 09:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thanks for the advise! I know it will be VERY hard if I quite my job to find a teaching job and I would most likely have to get a 2nd (night) job to pay the bills... but teaching is truly what I want to do in the long run so I believe it is worth it! Does that sound total nuts?

My business job is very structured 8:00am (SHARP) at your desk ready to go till 4:45pm (on-the-dot, not a minute early). There is zero flexibility to work with my schedule. So it really is either stay here (waste time I could be starting a desired career in) or take a leap and hope it works out for the best. I could possibly do some after school tutoring but I honestly couldn't get to a second place/job till 5:45-6ish with my current situation. Plus, I feel like most children go straight from school to get tutored, not later at night (I could be wrong).

Looking at Charter Schools is a good idea! I actually am very interested in Charter schools and their different philosophies of teaching/approaching education.

Thanks again for the advise

Suspended

Driven2BG

Suspended

Old 12-22-2009, 07:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

There is always tutoring on weekends, and evenings. I tutor from 3:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. or later Monday - Friday.
Driven2BG is offline   Reply With Quote

janiewilson

Substitute Teaching
Old 01-01-2010, 08:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I substituted two years before I got my first teaching job. I'm sure that it helped me get my foot in the door. It was worth it to me. I actually enjoyed substituting. When the principals discovered that I could do the job, they gave me some time teaching for teachers who were on leave.

janiewilson is offline   Reply With Quote

dukebigsby

I am in the same boat...
Old 01-18-2012, 07:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I am also wanting to return to teaching. How do I include my non-teaching related position on my resume? I have been trying to find some examples of resumes. I have read that some people just include their non related experience in their cover letters. Any ideas.
dukebigsby is offline   Reply With Quote