New teacher interview

>

Maritza

Maritza

New teacher interview
Old 01-14-2010, 09:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi,
I am a 54 yr old new teacher terrified to go on my first interview. I don't know what schools look for in a teacher; therefore, I don't know what to ask or how to answer their questions correctly. Do they test my knowledge of content subjects in the interview? How much should I say about myself? How do they determine if I'm qualified to teach? Is there something that I should do or not do? Say or not say?
I would like to teach bilingual. I am Spanish speaking and although my English is good, I do have an accent. Would that be a minus during the interview?
I'll appreciate any tips or advice that anyone can give me.
Thank you!

multigrade

Old 01-18-2010, 03:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

My experience is different from yours. My interview didn't come until after I'd been teaching for 2 weeks! Weird, I know. It was a technicality. My DS asked what the school board would do if they didn't 'hire' me. I said one of them would be going into the classroom the next day.

But, I know they respected my life experiences. I was 48yo, not a young 22yo. Know that's in your favor. I hope somebody else can help more.
Be encouraged!
multigrade is offline   Reply With Quote

LynetteB

Do your research...
Old 01-21-2010, 04:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

...about the school district to which you plan to apply. If the district has a large percentage of Spanish-speaking students, you will definitely be an asset. Every district has their own set of questions... there's no way to know what they'll ask unless you know someone else who's interviewed recently. My best advice is to be honest and be real. You want to sound sure of yourself, but if you don't know an answer (especially if it's content related), it's ok to say you don't know; but add that you plan to find out!! Try to give specific examples as much as possible, but don't ramble on. Give a precise, elaborated answer, and then stop.
Best of luck to you!
LynetteB is offline   Reply With Quote
bignothing

bignothing

Hmmm
Old 09-11-2010, 08:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

No offense, but are you sure you should go into teaching if you do not know what a district is looking for?

For Secondary... You may want to think about the process of lesson planning (UBD) include data analysis and an understanding of state standards and assessment anchors. How you differentiate instruction, constructivist vs traditional types of lessons.Additionally, formative/summative authentic assessments should be discussed. You will want to have a teaching portfolio which will serve as an example for all of these wonderful things you will incorporate in your instruction as well as your vision of education. Use understanding of classroom management and be energetic and knowledgeable on technology usage. IT IS ALL ABOUT YOUR KNOWLEDGE OF PEDAGOGY!!! ANYONE CAN TEACH ANY CONTENT AREA IF THEY KNOW THE PROPER METHODS. Remember, you cannot make an emotional connection to a student before you can make an intellectual connection.

Good luck...