Take FTCE English 5-9 or 6-12 for middle school? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Career Decisions

Take FTCE English 5-9 or 6-12 for middle school?

>

dmorey

dmorey

Take FTCE English 5-9 or 6-12 for middle school?
Old 06-28-2010, 11:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm a career changer (journalism) planning to take the English FTCE. I'm a little lost as to whether to go for the English 5-9 or 6-12. I plan to teach middle school. I am nervous about the test because so much seems related to teaching and it seems difficult to study. Is the English 5-9 really easier? Is that the best route if I want to teach middle school? Thanks in advance. This is a big step that I've been procrastinating. I bought review books from the state for 5-9 and 6-12 but they look similar. Not sure if there is any benefit to taking 6-12?

FLTCHR08

Old 07-01-2010, 03:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I wanted to keep all of my options open - so I took the FTCE English 6 - 12. It was not difficult. I just used the review book and passed on the first try. Good Luck!
FLTCHR08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Luv2teach.org

Luv2teach.org

FTCE Ebglish 6-12
Old 07-02-2011, 08:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Did you use the REA study guide or the state guide?

Thanks

LoveMyPups!

Same as you
Old 07-10-2011, 06:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I've also switched from journalism to teaching. I began a Teacher Certification Program at my local state college in May 2010, and to qualify for a grant that paid for everything, I had to take the English 5-9 (even though I'm only doing elementary). I studied from the REA review book, and passed it the first try (I found doing the pre and post test in the book to be very helpful). I would say that if you ONLY want to teach middle school and wouldn't take a job in high school EVER, then go for the 5-9. If not, you might as well take the 6-12.

I spent the last year subbing and because of it I landed a position teaching 5th grade this coming school year at a terrific charter school. During the year, I took the 7 courses at the state college (they were NOT bachelor-level courses... however they were perfect for me as they were taught by teachers/principals in my school district, were filled with teachers and aspiring teachers coming from another career, and taught very applicable info), completed the required 30 hours of observation, and completed all of the exams needed (k-6, English 5-9, GK and PED). I honestly can't say enough good things about this program and "learning the ropes" (or at least some of them!) as a sub. The program also allowed me to skip the temporary certificate and my professional should be arriving in the mail any day now! Feel free to contact me if you have any questions and good luck!
LoveMyPups! is offline   Reply With Quote