Help

Career Decisions

Teaching at 62

>

Honeyone

Teaching at 62
Old 08-02-2010, 02:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Well I am 62 years old and have always wanted to teach school. I retired from the corporate world after twenty eight years and taught in day care for twelve years. I am in school to complete my B.A. in ECE yet I feel that this is a fantasy. I have read about how difficult it is for teachers. I know my chances of even finding a subsitute job is going to be "next to ZERO"! I am going to hang in there and see what happens. I do not understand why teachers are being cut. Education should be top priority in Washington. Without teachers there will be No Presidents, No Doctors, No Lawyers, No Journalists, No Writers, No Teachers, No Scientists, etc.

Honeyone is offline   Reply With Quote

Hasty

my assistant
Old 08-02-2010, 03:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

My assistant who is 51 years old graduated in June. She will be teaching first grade next year. Good luck to you!
Hasty is offline   Reply With Quote

SPEDnovice

ageless
Old 08-02-2010, 04:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I am 61 and in my fourth year of teaching. It's never too late to make a difference!
SPEDnovice is offline   Reply With Quote

multigrade

Old 08-03-2010, 11:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

There's lots to be said for 'experience'.
Somebody will see what you can contribute. Good luck to you.
multigrade is offline   Reply With Quote

jakshom

Old 08-17-2010, 05:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Jobs being cut is not Washington's fault. Education is suppose to be paid for by state and local governments.

Being 62 is young. I am 46 and most students and teachers think I am about 34. I act very young. I teach 7th graders ( very critical) and they tell me all the time that I am not old.

I have been teaching for 2 1/2 years.

Go for it!

jakshom is offline   Reply With Quote

TravelingGal

Old 08-17-2010, 05:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

My principal just hired a 52 year old woman. This will be her first year of teaching. Go for it if it is your dream.
TravelingGal is offline   Reply With Quote

fcseteach

Old 08-21-2010, 06:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I am also 62, and I start my student teaching in two weeks. I will be teaching Family and Consumer Sciences. My background is interior design. I also always wanted to teach, and now I am going to be doing it. I was concerned about my age and getting a teaching position, but now I am not. The teacher I am going to be student teaching under told me I will not have a problem getting a job. She said schools will welcome the degrees and experience I have. The author, George Elliot, said, "It's never too late to be what you might have been."
fcseteach is offline   Reply With Quote
never2late88

never2late88

It's never too late to...
Old 09-09-2010, 05:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Thanks for your inspiration...I'm student teaching this semester and will soon be 49. I'm having a ball...so many intrinsic rewards!
Poodleloo

Poodleloo

Not old just life experienced
Old 09-19-2010, 01:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I am 48 and will be student teaching next semester. I have been in a masters/teaching certificate program for a year and half and love every minute of it. If you're passionate about teaching then do it! You will love it and it will show!

texasesl

51 yrs young and starting out!
Old 10-02-2010, 03:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I am 51 in a MS in C&I program and a teaching program. I have never taught school formally and my previous degrees have nothing to do with teaching. But so far, based on my experiences as a parent and my field experiences through school, I am excited about it all. and start student teaching next semester. I have no idea how hard it will be to get a job but so far I am enjoying the journey.

texasesl is offline   Reply With Quote

Lady Di

Hate to be a downer, but...
Old 10-03-2010, 08:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

...I am 44, finished my student teaching at the age of 42 and cannot get a job to save my life. I have a background in Speech Pathology and have just completed my Masters in Early Childhood Education. The economy is just so bad right now that it is difficult for ANYone to get a job, unfortunately.

Yes, enjoy the journey - I know I did, but I am very disheartened to not have a job after all that hard work and soul searching about the career change.

Good luck to you all - I know one day we will all end up where we're supposed to be and we will LOVE, LOVE what we're doing!
Lady Di is offline   Reply With Quote

COSub

You are all so encouraging!
Old 10-22-2010, 06:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I'm 48 and have been involved in theatre and radio broadcasting for many years. I homeschooled my children (4) and taught drama and language arts at a large homeschool co-op also for many years. Last year all the kids went to public school and I decided to get paid for what I do best, teach. Started subbing and really enjoy it. Everyday I get to act. When I teach Algebra, I act like I know what I'm doing! Same with Spanish (although I can speak the language) etc. Last Spring I passed my state teacher test in Drama Education and hope to gain a classroom through our state's Teacher-In-Residence program (Get the classroom first and earn the certification on the weekends) but I've been reluctant, possibly because of all the horror stories I hear or read and definitely my age. This thread has motivated me to continue to follow this path even though I feel much older than most of the teachers I encounter.
COSub is offline   Reply With Quote

HappySubber

I love this thread too!
Old 03-16-2011, 04:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I'm loving all your comments. I'm a young 61, and it's refreshing to hear seasoned in life teachers share here. In 1986 I went back to school and graduated, taught for a few years, then decided to homeschool my children. I started subbing three years ago and am now dreamin' about my own room. I've been in so many classrooms and gleaned myriads of ideas and am ready to put them into action.
HappySubber is offline   Reply With Quote

multigrade

Old 03-16-2011, 04:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Quote:
...then decided to homeschool my children.
I know homeschooling is a touchy subject on this site, but anybody who has homeschooled tends to be a good teacher, in my experience. Maybe we have to think outside the box more often.
multigrade is offline   Reply With Quote

lucky

I think it all depends
Old 03-16-2011, 05:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

on what part of the country you live in. If you live somewhere where they need teachers, then you'll get work. If you don't, you won't. But, there is ageism in this field just like anywhere else. I started teaching at 44. I'm now 57. I got hired during the late 90s when class size reduction was the big thing. Now, they are pushing our class sizes to the limit in CA. This year I've been running around 40-42 students in my 4th grade classroom all year. It has basically been crowd control this year. Not much teaching goes on when you have to spend so much time controling behavior. So, if you don't really need to work (you said you retired, with a pension?), don't need medical insurance, or don't care if you are laid off every year, then push ahead with your plan.
Don't want to bring you down but you also need to know what you're getting into.
lucky is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

You are 62 years young
Old 03-16-2011, 05:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Go for it! I wish you the best.
1956BD is offline   Reply With Quote

cvt

retired with pension
Old 03-16-2011, 06:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

I agree with lucky that it depends on the part of the country where you live. Here in So Cal there are NO hirings, and they are laying off thousands of teachers.
Also, I don't know about your state, but here in California you will only get part of your Social Security (if any) if you start paying into the state public teacher retirement system. So even if you have contributed into SS your entire career, you will be penalized for going into teaching. So check that out before you take the leap.
cvt is offline   Reply With Quote

ThankaTchr

to COSub....am I looking in the mirror??
Old 05-21-2011, 07:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

Your story is SO MINE!! Theatre major turning my units into English focus! Need a job- friend says my wife needs a TA did you ever consider teaching? No (dad taught HS for 30 yrs) but "How hard can it be, it's like acting! I will act like his wife and teach I did my 3rd yr college, we got PG, had two kids, raised the family, stayed home, worked in husbands business, volunteered doing kids musical theatre for 12 yrs LETS GET $ for what we do! And I went BACK TO SCHOOL AT 50 (Had to finish 4th yr BA) ended up with dual credential English single subject and multisubject. Teaching for 7 yrs (last 5 in Kinder) love it....like doing 'improv' and if any of them would get my jokes it would be total 'stand-up comedy' FYI: I direct the annual Variety Show with a couple other teachers and do stage mgr at night if time (and energy) allows with close friends. Do what you love and pray you don't get a pink slip Yes I am in Calif and hooray I just got rescinded!
ThankaTchr is offline   Reply With Quote