Career Decisions

Seeking advice on Praxis tests

>

barbara s

barbara s

Seeking advice on Praxis tests
Old 10-04-2010, 06:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm already licensed (6-12), thanks to earlier college work, and I'm two-thirds of the way through my master's (K-6). But I've never taken a Praxis test. From the Web site and its info on my state requirements, it appears I have something like seven tests to take to secure all my licenses. Yikes! I have some questions for those of you who've already taken the tests.

First, on the elementary ed tests, do I need to complete all of my coursework before challenging the tests? Or can I take the tests if I study on my own and learn the material? I haven't yet completed my reading and science ed courses.

Second, on the 6-12 language arts and English tests, how much literature do I need to, um, remember exactly? I'm a little worried that I might need to reread and study about a kazillion novels in order to be able to answer test questions, so I'm trying to determine what to spend my time on.

Thanks in advance for any tips you can provide.

shelliebean

Elementary Ed
Old 10-04-2010, 04:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I took all of my elemetary ed tests before I completed the coursework, but for my secondary endorsement (science) I was required to have the coursework hours completed before taking the test.
Can't help with the language arts and English my certification is K-5 with a Science endorsement for 6-9.

Good Luck and try to not stress too much.
shelliebean is offline   Reply With Quote

pruckdeschel

Elementary Ed
Old 10-22-2010, 07:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

In my experience with the Elementary Ed Test, you do not need to have all your coursework. Surprisingly, I found that watching and taking quizzes on-line for "Are you smarter than a 5th Grader" helped me tremendously. I looked at some of the study guides, but the questions on the exam are so random, your better off with a radom approach to studying.

I took the Secondary Math Content Test also and that test is heavy on concepts in math. There was little comparison to any other test.

Good luck!
pruckdeschel is offline   Reply With Quote

Suspended

WillyNilly

Suspended
Barrons
Old 03-18-2011, 09:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Check at Barnes and Nobles or another book store for this test prep book.....it helped me score very well on all the PRAXIS tests I had to take. It is a VERY good investment.
WillyNilly is offline   Reply With Quote

Nunziata

5th grade
Old 07-13-2011, 12:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

When I took my Praxis I realized most of the questions were based on the 5th grade curriculum. I'm so glad I student taught in the fifth grade.

Getting a Praxis test booklet also helped.

Good luck.

Nunziata is offline   Reply With Quote