Help

Career Decisions

Obama's support for more STEM teachers

>

newsubLisa

Obama's support for more STEM teachers
Old 02-22-2011, 11:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I was so excited to hear about Obama's giving money to hire more STEM teachers. I'm thinking of getting certified in Physics or Math, and was hopeful that this might mean there might be some money to help me pay for this. ($12,000 is a lot of money to shell out to switch careers to something where I will take a pay cut!)

Well, the good news is that there is money, but none of it seems to be available to me. Support is going to existing programs - one is only in the states of Indiana, Ohio and Michigan, and the other one is only for undergraduates.

It's just so frustrating to hear everyone saying how desperate they are for Math and Science teachers, but there doesn't seem to be much help to become one. At least I did find that IBM has $5000 scholarships for people in graduate or certification programs in Math and Science. When I go talk to the local University again, I will be sure to ask them about scholarships there too.

newsubLisa is offline   Reply With Quote

ThankaTchr

What's really crazy is there is so much focus
Old 05-12-2011, 04:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

on the rigor of writing (then reading) that math falls behind and don't even think about science!! This is kindergarten level!! Good grief!
ThankaTchr is offline   Reply With Quote