Career Decisions

First Year Teacher's Thoughts

>

firstyearinst

firstyearinst

First Year Teacher's Thoughts
Old 03-19-2011, 11:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm a first year teacher who, like perhaps many in my generation, spent time getting a degree (or two) and then found the job market devoid of options. Teaching has always been something that has interested me, and I've always enjoyed school. After teaching abroad I had the opportunity to substitute teach and decided pursuing a teaching career, believe it or not, would be economically viable and fulfilling. Despite all the "hoops" to jump through it has been a very rewarding experience so far. Part of that might be that my expectations were pretty low. Making a ton of money isn't a priority, and the idea is that instead of going into a class room with expectations of student's prior knowledge, I would just see what they knew and what could help them. There are definite concerns I have regarding our educational system, but I believe the only way to change them is to do that from within the system. Student motivation, and relevance is number one on that list. Teaching in Asia was a huge eye-opener for me. If our students are motivated to learn there's very little we as teachers can do to persuade them. Family involvement is necessary for success. I think it's very important for the school to honestly approach their student's education, not create some fantasy-land where the skills taught are only applicable to school. There are so many aspects of the school system that are out of sync with life in the real world which begs for bridging that divide. The focus in education is definitely on standards based testing, AYP and other data driven processes. What's lost is the understanding that who we are teaching are real human beings, who will grow up and need to contribute to society. The more we as teachers can focus on the human interaction and promotion of individual empowerment in the classroom, ultimately the better off we'll be in society...

Suspended

WillyNilly

Suspended
Absolutely
Old 03-25-2011, 02:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

From my experience your observations are spot on. I have never been witness to so many enabling procedures and tactics. Having come from the other working world I am astonished at what I see. I have been fortunate to have at least some effect on many students because, keeping my same email, I have been contacted by students as they went through HS and college. I love hearing that the techniques I shared with them (from my graduate school professors) worked in many ways. It has been rewarding in that way, but I have also seen amny students pass by and I know they had no interest in school and many times were supported in that by admin people no less. Good luck to you avoiding Fantasy Land.....:-)
WillyNilly is offline   Reply With Quote

HappySubber

I agree...
Old 03-26-2011, 08:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

The most important factor is, like you said, "What's lost is the understanding that who we are teaching real human beings, who will grow up and need to contribute to society." I feel the bottom line to teaching, and having students who want to learn, is respect for others and themselves. Somewhere along the line, schools and society have derailed from having faith in each other, hope and purpose in life.

I've been reading different books and online just what a great teacher is. Over and over, it clearly stands out that it's respect. Here's what some students said they think a great teacher is:

Respectful
Firm but fair
Friendly
Inspiring
Passionate about subjects
Good communicator
Relates to their lives
Consistent
Approachable
Knowledgeable
Life long learner
Loves energy of young people
HappySubber is offline   Reply With Quote

broomrider

unfortunately
Old 10-29-2011, 11:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

even though you are all spot on about what needs to be happening in education and for students that is not what is being supported with $$.
The Golden Rule applies: those who have the gold make the rules. Check out Gates Foundation, Eli Broad foundation (superintendent training), Walton (Walmart heirs) foundation,Michelle Rhee's StudentsFirst. They are putting Billions into re-forming education into a business. One that many seemed to desire to privatize for profit.

Try reading Diane Ravitch's comments on Waiting for Superman or see her best selling book The Death and Life of the Great American School System. You might want to subscribe to the Forum for Education and Democracy which has articles from Ravitch, Darling-Hammond, etc.
broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote