need help finding post dealing with 8th grade restaurant theme room - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Bulletin Boards & Classroom Themes

need help finding post dealing with 8th grade restaurant theme room

>

specialedmath

need help finding post dealing with 8th grade restaurant theme room
Old 07-12-2011, 03:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi,

I teach special ed math for 6th through 8th grade. I was wanting to do a restaurant theme in my room. I thought that would be perfect to incorporate several of the math concepts through out the year. In a post I found earlier, one of the posters said there was an archived post about such a room that some one else did. I have not been able to locate it.

Does anyone else know where I could find the posting? If unable to find, do you have any ideas of how to incorporate, and start the project from day one?

Thank you for your help.

Deb

Alf Abett

Restaurant Theme
Old 07-12-2011, 06:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Not familiar with the posting you're looking for but I read your post and it made me think of a song. Have you heard of Dr. Jean? She has a simple song (maybe too simple for 6th-8th) called Pizza Hut, but it might be fun when you have a couple of minutes to fill. Look on her website drjean.org. She includes the words to each song. She uses Pizza Hut, KFC, Mc Donalds, Burger King, Taco Bell, Dairy Queen, Arby's, Red Lobster, and Wendy's. Anyway, maybe you could get menus from these restaurants, paper cups, take-out bags or boxes with logos, etc. to decorate. They could be given a certain amount of money and asked to buy their lunch. Compare prices at different restaurants. Locate these restaurants on a map. How many miles away are they? How long would it take to get there? Are any of these restaurants in your town? Maybe a field trip would be fun. Hope I've helped.

ajester2

subway tips
Old 07-13-2011, 11:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

not really sure about the post your talking about, but i do have a small idea for you. a consultant my school hired for science always ate lunch at subway and often brought in the napkins that have the calories/fat/etc listed. she would always have us make different types of graphs, write word problems, or answer questions based on the napkin info. free and easy to obtain. as far as using in your classroom, the students could (with your help) graph the info and hang the graphs, use big chart paper. decorate like the restaurant logos (subway= green and yellow). also teaches nutrition