Help

Bulletin Boards & Classroom Themes

Teaching Two Subjects

>

IL2teach

Teaching Two Subjects
Old 07-14-2011, 02:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

After teaching only science for that last two years, this coming year I will be teaching both science and social studies. I'm excited about the new content, but I feel stuck. I teach middle school, so I will see 3 science classes and 1 social studies class...how do I make my room feel like a social studies classroom for that one block during the day???

When I taught social studies and ELA it was easier because those two subjects kind of go together. How can I tie together science and social studies? Anyone have any suggestions? I've been wracking my brain over where I'm going to put all of my science content posters and what to do about social studies.

ajester2

same situation!
Old 07-14-2011, 05:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

i have only taught science in the past, but this year, since i've moved to a new area, i am teaching 2 sections of 7th grade science and 4 sections of 7th grade social studies. i've got my large periodic table and my big maps that MUST be on the walls. i'm hoping after i take my stuff to my room tomorrow and get started situating things that I can have 1 wall for just science, one wall for just social studies, one wall for fun stuff (current events, school activities, calendar, etc.) and one wall where my desk is where i can bring in things to show that hit the curriculum. (EX: i'm gona bring in a komono and a sari when i talk about ancient asia, a sarcophagus-looking thing when i talk about egypt.) i don't know how it's gona work out, but i know i want to keep things close but seperated. i'm struggling right now because i want a word wall and don't know what i'm gona do. if you come up with any ideas let me know

IL2teach

Old 07-15-2011, 01:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

ajester2,

Did you make it to your room? If so, did you work out where to put things? I've now added a theme to my room, and that complicates things, but I couldn't help myself. I found a cute robot poster and it was all down hill from there.

ajester2

ugh
Old 07-17-2011, 08:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

IL2teach,

i did make it to my room, but i have to go back tomorrow. i didn't get anything put up, it's just sitting in the boxes. i started cleaning out a cabinet and got overwhelmed that i had to leave, ha. hopefully tomorrow i can get some things done. i wanted a theme so bad, but couldn't figure out what i wanted. if you get your room ready, you should post pics! i bet a robot theme will be super cute!