Help

Middle School/Jr High (6-8)

open house!

>

ajester2

open house!
Old 07-17-2011, 08:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

i'm a 3rd year middle school teacher, but starting at a new school. my old school did not do an open house, so this year will be my first. i dont really know what to expect, and i was hoping someone could offer ideas for something neat i could have for the kids/parents. any advise/suggestions would be appreciated. thanks!

boelensa

Is it...
Old 07-18-2011, 05:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

a traditional "open house" where parents and families just come to peruse your classroom and see kids' work? Or is it a beginning-of-the-year curriculum night where you explain your policies and philosophies?

sassymollasi

Old 07-18-2011, 09:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Depends on what kind of Open House. I used to dread and over prepare, but now I just hang out and chat. Parents just want to put a name with a face, get to know you a little. It is good to have text books out on a table so you can discuss them with parents that are interested. I also have my expectations typed up for those that are interested. I also use it as a time to get emails, volunteer lists, - give them my web and email address.

ajester2

it is
Old 07-18-2011, 03:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

before school meet and greet open house. middle school kids will get their schedules and be able to walk around to find their classrooms and meet the teachers

mrsb12247

Old 07-18-2011, 04:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

If it's meet&greet it's probably low key, and they kids will be meeting all of their other teachers too, so they will probably just be "drive-bys" to say hello, introduce themselves, etc... If you're on a team, something cool to give out would be a bookmark or magnet with the email address, webpage, and phone numbers of your team... if you're not on a team, you could give out your class expectations flyer, or a "how to contact me" card...

Shemesh

Old 07-18-2011, 07:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I too am a third year middle school teacher

I second the posts above me! Its pretty simple and parents just want to see who will teach their kids. I introduce myself, review the importance of checking their kids Agenda (mentioning that all of the forms that will need to be signed the first week of school are in it), provide the website address to our gradebook, and give out my class website (all of my contact information is on there). Than I just do a Q&A

MiddlingAZ

Old 07-18-2011, 08:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

mrsb -- I think the bookmark is a great idea! It could have your school mascot or logo or something subject related, maybe a quote or message. You could hand it out with the comment that your complete syllabus will be handed out during the first week, 'but here's my contact info to post or keep in your notebook.' Besides the info mentioned, maybe a list of your required materials on the back so they can (hopefully) have everything on Day 1.

sassymollasi

magnet idea
Old 07-20-2011, 08:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

That is wonderful!

MSScienceGal

Before School Year Open House
Old 07-27-2011, 02:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

is basically a meet and greet. You may want to ask your fellow teachers what they do. Everyone on this post has great ideas to follow.

If you have a smartboard/interactive board, you can put one of the pre-programmed games for parents to try out. I had one about football cuz moms just want to talk and dads want something interactive. I had to monitor students' use and steer little ones away to keep equipment safe. I didn't have any issues with students misusing it. I sometimes had to prompt parents to it, but they were impressed. It shows off the school's technology and they get to see that school isn't quite the same as when they attended.