Help

Primary Grades (K-2)

Similar books to Ivy and Bean

>

bockiee

Similar books to Ivy and Bean
Old 03-09-2015, 04:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

My daughter will be turning 7 at the end of the month. As an early birthday present she received some of the Ivy and Bean chapter books. She had the first one read in less than a day. We had to rush to the library to get the next few in the series because she was so excited to read them. She is starting her 4th one tonight. She absolutely loves them! From what I can tell there are 10 in the series so at this rate she will finish the series before her birthday! I would love to be able to suggest other books family members could get her for her birthday that she would be just as excited to read. Can anyone suggest a similar series? We have tried Magic Tree House, Cam Jansen, Nate the Great, and Rainbow Fairies, but she has not been too excited about any of those, so any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. We will probably revisit some of those this summer. TIA

ACRteach

Books
Old 03-09-2015, 04:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Here are some my students love!

Frankly Frannie series
Frannie K. Stein (not really similar to I&B but I bet she'd like it anyway!)
The Cobble Street Cousins by Cynthia Rylant
Marty Maguire series by Kate Messner
Clementine series by Sara Pennypacker
Judy Moody books by Megan McDonald
Mercy Watson books by Kate DiCamillo

Lillybabe

Old 03-09-2015, 04:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I was curious about this book. I've seen it on the shelves but haven't actually ever picked it up. I did some searching to see what similar books would come up. There was tons of commentary on how inappropriate this book is. I've again never read it but people said there is a ton of name calling and bad behavior by the main character Bean in these books. Things like throwing worms in her sister's face and trying to learn magic spells to use against her sister. I worry that I wouldn't feel comfortable sharing it with students or my own children if I had them.

Personally I really enjoyed the Ramona books when I read them. She is very funny and most of the trouble she gets into is unintentional. The Fudge series is also a hit with most kids. Junie B. Jones is popular though there are some bad behaviors in those but not the the extreme Ivy and Bean seem to have. The Weird School series is very popular at my school and pretty hilarious. I think your daughter might enjoy those as well. The Pirate School books are also a newer chapter book series that seem to be a hit.

bockiee

Thanks
Old 03-10-2015, 05:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Thank you for the replies. I think I have some of the books mentioned packed away at home. I think I will get one or two from a series at the library first and see if anything keeps her interest. If I find something from the library that she likes then maybe we will look into purchasing more in a series.DD has the reading ability to read chapter books, but until now has never been interested in one long enough to finish the book on her own. She just seems so eager to read now! I want to keep her excitement and interest going. Thanks again.