BusyBoard

Is this legal?

>

brigita

Is this legal?
Old 04-22-2016, 05:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi All,

My P wants to hide a gopro in our classrooms and secretly record us teaching so that we can go over it together and learn from it ( I am not sure if it will be just the 2 of us viewing it or the whole staff). Either way, I am very uncomfortable with this and am wondering if this is even legal. I work in a parochial school. I would be slightly more comfortable if I knew it was in the room, but not much. I suffer from mild anxiety and this has kicked it up a notch! Anybody know? How should I handle this?

Keltikmom

Go pro
Old 04-22-2016, 06:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Oh, i don't think so!

Penguin82

Go oro
Old 04-22-2016, 07:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Oh no no no. You should definitely see if that's illegal: video taping without knowledge?

ElizabethJoy

Depends
Old 04-22-2016, 08:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Do you mean he will put it there on a day of his choosing, and you'll have no idea it's there?

If so I think it's definitely a bad idea, and probably not legal. (Might depend on your state?)

I would absolutely complain. Not fair at all

I'm sorry your P thinks this is ok.

Zia

Old 04-22-2016, 08:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

If it is recording sound, permission slips from all persons seen or heard on the video need to be on file.

Anyone can record video without sound without needing permission.

If it can be considered a public performance/event (i.e., students putting on a play, talent show, or concert) no permission for any photos or video need be given.

Sounds to me this is not legal; you (and parents of students) need to raise a ruckus.

hand

Old 04-23-2016, 05:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

When I had a student teacher who needed to have video of her lessons, permission slips were required from all the students' parents. I would think that would also apply in this case.

anna

Old 04-23-2016, 09:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

check your state's ed code first.

beagles2

Old 04-23-2016, 10:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I don't know about the legality but I would not be at all happy about that either. For goodness sake, don't principals have other stuff to do than bother teachers with this type of nonsense?

Why does this person think you need to 'learn from' a secret videotaping? If you haven't had any concerns in recent evaluations, I'd raise a stink. I would voice my opinion about the whole idea anyway, but that's me.

brigita

waivers
Old 04-23-2016, 11:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Thank you for your responses. The parents did sign a waiver at the beginning of the school year that their children would be photographed, videotaped, and such over the course of the year for a variety of activities. The teachers have not signed such a waiver. It would be put in our rooms without our knowledge so that we would not be able to "prepare" the kids or act differently than we usually do on a regular basis.

I teach K and the only real issue that he brings up to me often is that my kids are too loud. I agree that they are a talkative bunch, but they have gotten so much better over the course of the year. Academically, they are soaring. I grew up in a very large family ( a family of 10!), so noise and commotion have never bothered me. The P grew up in a very small family and noise is very uncomfortable for him.

I'm thinking that he may add this in to our contract next year. Then what do I do?!

brigita

Old 04-23-2016, 11:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I teach in CA, by the way.

gardener5

wow
Old 04-23-2016, 12:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

This is a new one. You know your P best, but I would tend to be suspicious that this would be used in negative ways. A red flag that went up for me... is there a teacher that the P wants to get rid of? parent complaints?

apple annie

Old 04-23-2016, 01:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I would think you would have to sign a waiver as well. Which I would not be wiling to do. At the very least you should get in writing EXACTLY what the video will and will not be used for and who will and will not have access to it. In this tech-happy world, that thing could end up anywhere.
Newto3s

Newto3s

Old 04-23-2016, 03:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I don't know why so many teachers are anti camera. I've seen MANY cases where a camera cleared something up or showed something was a complete lie. In all cases I've seen, it always protected the teacher.

anna

Old 04-23-2016, 04:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

If the princ and all the admin want to be followed by a camera I may agree to it but I would want an agreement in writing as far as what the footage would be used for. Your princ most likely wants to cut down on the work load;watching the worker bees is his priority and he wants to do it the easy way.

ElizabethJoy

Anti camera
Old 04-25-2016, 12:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Quote:
I don't know why so many teachers are anti camera. I've seen MANY cases where a camera cleared something up or showed something was a complete lie. In all cases I've seen, it always protected the teacher.
I'm not against cameras themselves. I'm fine to be videotaped, but I would like to know when and where, and I would also like to know in advance who is going to be watching it it.

So many reasons. But basically, every teacher makes mistakes occasionally. Most of the time I'm even tempered and kind, but a couple times I have spoken too harshly to a student. I later apologised and learnt from my mistake.

But if that was recorded, and a sound bite was, for example, leaked online, it could be very embarrassing. (Not to mentioned career-running under the wrong circumstances). Especially if the context of the incident was edited out. i.e. Whatever the kid did or said to provoke such a reaction.
And then there's the numerous times we teachers bend the instructions of an admin to suit the needs of our class e.g. My admin wants me to use class dojo. Technically I do. In practice, not really. One full day of me on camera would make it abundantly clear that I do not really use it. Being filmed round the clock would basically just give the evaluator a lot of material for nit-picking.

Also, it's just a privacy thing. What if I wanna adjust my bra strap in a brief moment when the kids have just gone out to play? I wouldn't do that if I knew I was being recorded! But in this case, the OP won't even know!

I think that's pretty wrong, personally