Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Baking suggestion

>

Angie

Baking suggestion
Old 08-07-2016, 09:01 PM

There is going to be a dinner benefit and silent auction for a lady in my community. I need suggestions for something simple but good to bake that they can either use as a dessert or put in the auction. I like the idea of a bundt cake because then I don't have to ice it. My grandmother suggested swedish pound cake. What suggestions do you guys have?

Angie is offline   Reply With Quote

lisa53

Old 08-08-2016, 02:05 AM

Blueberry pie!
lisa53 is online now   Reply With Quote

RetiredKat

A winner
Old 08-08-2016, 02:29 AM

Google "too much chocolate cake" on All Recipes website. The ingredients include a cake mix, pudding, SOUR CREAM, and 4 eggs. Not only is it the best chocolate cake but you mix it together in one bowl then pour it into a bundt pan. As Ina Garten would say, "How easy is that?" A tip from her that I use is to add a teaspoon of instant espresso to the water before adding to the batter.
I make this cake A LOT. In my experience Betty Crocker mixes work the best, however they are no longer 18.5 ounces so you will need to buy 2 boxes to be able to add to the 15.5 box. If you don't have a kitchen scale that's about 3 tablespoons. Then save the second the box for when you make it again. If you make it one time, you will want to make it again and again. It's that good AND
EASY!

You might want to make 2. Make one for yourself. It freezes really well. You can have some now and some later.
RetiredKat is offline   Reply With Quote

Linda/OH

zucchini something
Old 08-08-2016, 02:48 AM

Zucchini bread or zucchini chocolate cake! Both moist and easy to make. Many recipes available online.
Linda/OH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tawaki

I've made these...
Old 08-08-2016, 03:36 AM

Rice Kristie treats with chopped up dried cherries and chocolate bits (can use tiny chocolate chips).
When cold, drizzle chocolate on top.

I've made plain with marshmallow fluff and real butter, and with mini M &Ms. You can drizzle chocolate on some.

Then I cut and individually wrapped the servings, placing them in a pretty basket or box.

Those always win up selling fast at bake sales/silent auctions.

It seems parents want them because they are portioned out, travel well and have minimal ingredients. My DD school made us give an ingredient list. Can't get easier than marshmallow fluff, Rice Krispies and butter. I use the fluff because it doesn't contain animal based gelatin. We have a lot of vegans/people who don't eat pork in my area.

I'd make these because it is too hot to bake. Lol.....the microwave can be your friend when it's 95F outside.

Tawaki is offline   Reply With Quote

RetiredKat

Tawaki...
Old 08-08-2016, 04:53 AM

If you use the marshmallow fluff check the ingredients for eggs. My oldest great-niece is allergic to eggs. Marshmallows are safe but she had a bad reaction to the fluff. Also, do vegans eat eggs? Different brands might use different ingredients.

GreenBunny

Old 08-08-2016, 07:42 AM

These Big Soft Ginger Cookies are the best cookies I've ever had and they're easy to make. A plate of them would make an excellent selection for the auction.
GreenBunny is offline   Reply With Quote

RetiredKat

Ginger cookies
Old 08-08-2016, 07:49 AM

Greenbunny, they sound so good. I will definitely try those. I wonder why so many cookies call for margarine instead of butter. That's against my religion. The combination of flavors sound awesome. Thanks for sharing.

Tawaki

I have food allergies....
Old 08-08-2016, 08:01 AM

And egg was one of them.

My daughter's school usually rolled like this..

If the kids had a nut, egg, peanut, sesame or milk allergy, those kids never at homemade food ever. The strict vegan kids never ate baked goods or candies.

We have a huge Muslim and Christian population that does not eat pork or anything with gelatin in it. I can't remember the last time I cooked with real marshmallows. The Hindu kids (around here) could eat butter, cheese, milk and eggs. RKTs are dicey anyway. Some people put peanut butter in them. Or use real marshmallows. Or fluff. Everyone would ask "what is this made with?"

I understand egg allergies. I finally past my cook (scrambled egg) in office food challenge this year. For years I couldn't eat any. Then I could eat them baked (fluff falls into this cafergory), and finally can have them cooked below 350F.

My DD has nut allergies (not peanuts surprisingly). Mine is nuts and I don't eat peanuts. My sister at 48 became anaphylactic to soy (all forms), tree nuts and peanuts. She will eat no meat at all, so this killed a good 80% of her diet.

Allergies are the worse with desserts. We don't eat anything but fresh fruit when eating out. This includes candies too. I have to make the baked goods at home or use the breads I know more or less are safe. I've had too many Epi pens jabbed into me because "I forgot that zucchini bread has walnuts in it".

I'm lucky. Where I live, it seems like everyone has a dietary restriction, so saying "no thank you", isn't a huge deal.

ETA: There is a vegan RKT that uses nut nutter and molasses or rice syrup. My friend makes those.

Tawaki is offline   Reply With Quote

GreenBunny

Old 08-08-2016, 09:30 AM

RetiredKat, you won't be disappointed! They are absolutely the best cookies and of course, use butter, I always use butter. I always thing that "margarine" is "butter" spelled wrong. Something else Boy and I discovered was that while the cookies made with fancy molasses are excellent (and the way I first had them when I begged for the recipe), we like them better with blackstrap molasses. We find they have an edgier flavour, a little (tiny tiny bit) bitterness to offset the sweetness of the sugar.

GreenBunny is offline   Reply With Quote

RetiredKat

GreenBunny...butter
Old 08-08-2016, 01:07 PM

I should have realized it was a misspelling since I am a horrible speller.

The combination of flavors/spices make the recipe a nice change from regular cookies. I actually have the ingredients including blackstrap molasses.