Help

First Grade

Help!

>

grammie I

Help!
Old 02-28-2017, 07:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am looking for a fun math unit to do for my observation in April, First grade measurement may be with a book attached.

Luv2TeachInTX

Old 02-28-2017, 02:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

You could do a measure around the room with with different non-standard units. Say give one group crayons, another group paper clips, and another pencils. Have them measure their items then come back on the carpet in a circle to discuss the results and why they think they are different.

TishFish

Not sure this will be popular, but...
Old 03-01-2017, 10:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

It's my opinion that your observation lesson should just be whatever lesson you would normally have taught on that day, in the same way you normally teach. I have gotten some amazing feedback from observations (which are supposed to help us grow!). If I had planned a special lesson for those days, I probably wouldn't have gotten that feedback and I would have never been able to correct those mistakes and become a better teacher.

Now, that's not to say I know your situation. Occasionally a principal will want to see a specific strategy or tool (like technology) implemented and I may change up the lesson in order to incorporate that strategy. I also change up the lesson if it ends up being an assessment day. Obviously they don't want to watch me give a test, so I'll move things around.

ACRteach

math
Old 03-01-2017, 04:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

i totally agree with PP. my best observations have been when I keep my routines consistent and do what i know. with that said, i just did a fun lesson with the book "how big is a foot?" it's a cute story that talks about the importance of standard units. then kids cut out a paper "foot long foot" and use it to measure items around the room with a partner. first they make an estimate and then they take turns using their "foot" to measure. once both partners have measure and got the same answer, they record it. after this, kids went to their math stations and i pulled a small group.

it went well because it tied in literature to math (which admin loves) and it involved hands-on investigation, estimation and lots of partner talk. engagement was high!

crazyeights

Old 03-11-2017, 03:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

A good book I have used when teaching measurement is Actual Size by Steve Jenkins. Afterwards, as a class project, we make our own Actual Size books using things about ourselves (hands, feet, a favorite book, etc.). He has two books actually about this and the kids are fascinated by them.