Help

BusyBoard

Reader's Workshop/Daily 5 questions

>

GreyhoundGirl

Reader's Workshop/Daily 5 questions
Old 07-20-2017, 10:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

For those of you who do Reader's Workshop, do you also do Daily 5?

How long does your Reader's Workshop last?

Do you do individual conferences during RW and guided reading during Daily 5?

I'm thinking I'd like to try RW, but my P is mandating Daily 5.

Thanks,
GG

kahluablast

Old 07-20-2017, 10:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I truthfully think that both programs are pretty much the same thing with a few vocabulary differences. I will admit that I haven't studies RW in much depth, but every time I have looked it up, I think it sounds very similar. What would you consider the difference?

Anyway, hopefully someone who uses RW answers your question. I don't know why you can't do D5 type model and use whatever you like from RW within the frame. I am going to use a modified D5 and teach most of my lessons within a book club sort of arrangement. During the D5 rotations, they are going to prepare for book club. There will be a few times that we will do more of a RW type of thing just for a break. Not even sure if I am going to use D5 names or my own rotation names. If my P has anything they particularly like, I can call my model whatever they want. Tweaked to fit me.

ancientciv

No centers/rotations in RW
Old 07-20-2017, 10:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

It is my understanding that in reading Workshop, the teacher presents a mini lesson (no more than ten), there is some brief guided practice, and then kids read. Eyes on print reading, no centers or rotations for 30-40 minutes. During that time, teachers may conference individually, or pull strategy groups (guided reading isn't encouraged over reading level L).

ACRteach

Rw
Old 07-20-2017, 03:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

RW is different because ALL kids are doing the same thing at the same time. In k-2, ALL kids do independent reading at the same time and then everyone moves to partner reading (or vice versa). In 3rd grade+, book clubs are incorporated after independent reading time. There are no "rotations." Writing takes place during Writing Workshop, and Word Work takes place during a separate Word Study block.

Some teachers have RW, and then a separate "centers" time in their schedule, but RW is NOT centers.

pausebutton

Old 07-20-2017, 04:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

The model that we are supposed to follow in our district is a separate time for centers, reading workshop, and writing workshop.

I do 3 rounds of guided reading with only 3 of the D5 choices (partner reading, listen to reading using ipads, and word work). 1hr

Then during reading workshop, I do a read aloud focused on some type of reading strategy (ex: making connections), next students reading independently to practice while I work with students, and then a quick share. 30-40 mins depending on the read aloud.

GreyhoundGirl

Old 07-20-2017, 05:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Pause button, that's exactly what I'm looking for, thanks. I'm concerned about time.

ancientciv

Time is the big issue
Old 07-21-2017, 03:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I have 125 minutes to teach ELA (reading, writing, grammar, vocabulary) and Social Studies. I've tried different things over the last six years, and I still haven't settled on something with which I am completely happy. You just have to think through the non-negotiables for your school and you personally and do the best you can with the time you have.