Question: Do you have an attic, basement, or cellar?? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Question: Do you have an attic, basement, or cellar??

>

luvtulearn

Question: Do you have an attic, basement, or cellar??
Old 06-02-2021, 06:22 PM

Do you have an attic, basement or cellar? I have 3 different attics. . .2 of them were lofts that were luckily sealed to conserve heat .

When was the last time you visited your basement, attic, or cellar? 3-4 times in 20 years to replace water heater. . .very unstable access through ladders only.

What do you use them for? The 1 attic not sealed has TOO.MUCH. STORAGE. ugh

luvtulearn is offline   Reply With Quote

javamomma

No
Old 06-02-2021, 06:31 PM

Where I live cellars and basements are rare.
I have attic but donít utilize the space for anything
javamomma is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 06-02-2021, 06:32 PM

We donít have any basement, attic, or cellar. We do have plenty of closets and more garage. We made up for it.
kahluablast is online now   Reply With Quote

FionaJ

Old 06-02-2021, 06:33 PM

I have a crawl space. I went in it two days ago to check for leaks or any problems.
FionaJ is online now   Reply With Quote

letsgomets

We have an attic
Old 06-02-2021, 06:43 PM

in our house. Our air conditioner is up there, and it was just serviced yesterday, so someone was up there. It just wasn't me. I think we have a couple of things stored up there? Maybe? I should probably check.

We have a storage space in our laundry room which is filled to the brim with school stuff. Unfortunately, our garage has the rest of the school stuff. I'm going to have to sort through it at some point, but I'm not ready to part with everything yet. DH would love for me to embrace retirement and get rid of it all.

letsgomets is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 06-02-2021, 06:44 PM

I have an attic. The only time it's been opened is when the inspector checked it out. Attics creep me out and I will never go up there. I'm not a pack rat at all and have no use for the extra storage. In fact, my garage is completely empty except for my car and a shovel!

I have sort of a "false basement." My house is built on a hill so there are technically 3 stories. The front door is at the top of the hill while the garage is at the bottom. On the same level as the garage is a laundry room. I have to go down 2 flights of stairs to get to the garage/laundry room. Not sure "false basement" is a real thing but that's what I call it .

Most annoying was that my previous apartment was in a similar "false basement." If you walked in the front door, it appeared as if you were on the ground level. On the side of the hill was the actual ground level and the entrance to my apartment. I had CONSTANT issues with deliveries (food and packages) because people would walk in that main door, not be able to find my apartment number, and be convinced the apartment number was wrong. It got to the point where I gave up on having food delivered, and I had to go to the post office to retrieve packages because the "unit number was wrong" quite a few times.
Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote

Teddi9192

Old 06-02-2021, 06:46 PM

Yes. We have all 3. Our basement is unfinished but we are down there a lot. Our chest freezers, workout stuff, storage etc.
We have a root cellar under the porch. It stores the pots and hanging baskets. It the day, all the canned goods were stored there. Probably go in there 5-6 times a year.

Attic has a few baby things. It is my DHs domaine. Probably havenít been in there for 10 years
Teddi9192 is offline   Reply With Quote

3monkeys

Old 06-02-2021, 06:48 PM

We have an attic that can be accessed in the garage. We don't use it for anything.

We have a full finished basement. It contains the master bedroom and bathroom, family room, game room, and two storage rooms (small and large).
3monkeys is offline   Reply With Quote

MAsped

Old 06-02-2021, 06:49 PM

Not yet since I'm in an apt, but when I get a home, I don't want any of them because the more space, the more to store a bunch of stuff/old junk, ha! Plus, I hate dust.
MAsped is offline   Reply With Quote

sonoma

Old 06-02-2021, 06:55 PM

I have an attic. It has pull down stairs. My furnace is up there.

No basement. Very rare in this part of the country. So we have to store all normal basement stuff in the garage.

sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote

tchrrx

Old 06-02-2021, 06:56 PM

I have two attics. One is full of stuff. I was up there last weekend gathering stuff for a garage sale. The other holds an a/c unit.

I donít have a basement or cellar. However, I do have an upright storm shelter. I was in it a couple weeks ago prepping for storms.
tchrrx is offline   Reply With Quote

hand

Old 06-02-2021, 07:05 PM

We have an attic. We keep all the boxes of Christmas and Halloween decorations up there. We visit it for the holidays.

We have a full finished basement with a TV area, office area, workout space, laundry room, full bath and a storage closet. We use it everyday.
hand is offline   Reply With Quote

PEPteach

Old 06-02-2021, 07:26 PM

No basement. I specifically told my realtor I didn't want to see any houses with a basement because they creep me out. We have kind of a creepy unfinished basement at my parents' house and I was always scared to go down there alone.

I do have one attic, but it's not the kind of attic where you store things. I think I had one worker who had to go up there once, as well as the inspector.
PEPteach is online now   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 06-02-2021, 07:33 PM

I have an attic in the house and an attic in the detached garage. The attached garage will have a loft eventually.

I have never been in the attic. Iíve lived here 21 years without ever setting foot in the attic. My dad, EX, and DH are the ones I send up there. The ladder (pull down steps) freak me out. I canít do it. Itís just where I store random crap.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

eagles23

Old 06-02-2021, 07:38 PM

We have an attic with pull-down stairs. We use it for storage, but it desperately needs to be cleaned/purged. DH doesn't like to go up the flimsy stairs, so that is mostly my job. If the weather stays moderate next week, that may be my first summer task.

We also have a sort of a 1/2 basement. (Split level house - the basement is really street level, but is only open on the side leading to the carport. The other sides are 'under' ground.) The laundry room is in a small section of it, and we just redid the other part to use as an exercise/playroom for the grandkids. It had been a creepy hole stripped down to the concrete walls and floors due to flooding, but we installed a pump and cleaned it up. I love it down there now!!
eagles23 is offline   Reply With Quote

2teach2

Old 06-02-2021, 07:38 PM

I live in California, and homes here don't typically have basements or attics. Our home does have attic storage space. DH has been up there and says you can walk around and there is a light as well, but I'm too creeped out to put anything up there!
2teach2 is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 06-02-2021, 08:13 PM

My current house has a crawl space underneath and several crawl spaces in what would be attics, I guess. I've never had a "walk in" attic, but always wanted one! Growing up, we had a basement and an attic (pull down stairs, you had to crawl across the 2x4 and try not to fall through the insulation )

The crawl spaces beneath the house are empty (hopefully completely empty of vermin, but probably not). The crawl spaces above-- there are 3, two of them have a bit of storage in them and one has the entire heating system inside. There are 3 different access doors. Right after we moved here, I read a thriller about a woman who lived in a crawl space under someone's house. Yeah, that was cool....

Growing up, the attic we had was FULL of crap balanced carefully on 2x4 or plywood across the 2x4s. The basement was originally unfinished and later partially finished- work room remained unfinished but my dad built a bathroom and put flooring and walls in with a couch and TV.

Most of the places I've lived since then don't have basements because the ground is not conducive to it.

I did have one house with sort of a basement- The way the house sat, the north side was a walk in front door, the street/drive was on the east side, and the south side was a walk out downstairs. Sort of a basement, I guess. It had 2 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms down there and a very large rec room kind of thing as well as an office at the bottom of the stairs.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 06-02-2021, 08:17 PM

We have an attic accessible by a knee high door. We store holiday decor, suitcases and adult children goodies they wanted to keep there.
anna is online now   Reply With Quote

TAOEP

Old 06-02-2021, 08:44 PM

We have a basement. It's unfinished, but lots of stuff stored there. Furnace and water heater are in the basement. Ceiling is high enough for tall people to walk. It's been divided into two small rooms and one large. Years ago, we used to have Cub Scout den meetings in that room.

There are two attics. The one over the front part of the house is only accessible by taking out shelves in the coat closet and then opening the trap door. I have never been up there, but apparently the previous owner kept his guns there.

The back attic is accessible through a trap door in the hall ceiling. We keep nothing there. I've looked in it, but that's all.
TAOEP is online now   Reply With Quote

Ruby tunes

Attic
Old 06-02-2021, 09:14 PM

Basements or cellars are rare in SoCal where I live. My house does have an attic but the only things in it are A/C ducts and insulation. The A/C itself is on the ground outside. I poked my head through the access cutout in the ceiling just to look but haven’t actually been up there. I could stand up in it along the middle high point but there are cross beams and I’d probably get hit in the head. I will force myself to go up there to see the results of the new and better insulated ductwork I plan to have done.
Ruby tunes is online now   Reply With Quote

Jackie

Old 06-03-2021, 12:50 AM

I have an attic and basement.

I go in my basement and attic all the time. Stairs going up and down into the basement and attic.

My attic is just for storage.

My basement has a full bathroom, a home theater, a wet bar, and music room.
Jackie is offline   Reply With Quote

lisa53

Old 06-03-2021, 02:20 AM

No attic or basement here. We were intentionally downsizing when we moved here, and I was happy to unload all the random stuff! I do have a garage with extra storage space. It needs to be mucked out this summer.

My other house (where dd lives) has an attic (never went up there or stored anything there), a basement (which still has some boxes that haven't been unpacked since we move there 25 years ago....I need to spend some time getting rid of that stuff), and a garage with an attic (which still probably has some of our stuff, but nothing I need).
lisa53 is offline   Reply With Quote

choppie70

Old 06-03-2021, 02:52 AM

We have a daylight basement that has our family room , the laundry room, a wet bar, and a bathroom. It is ground level and leads to the lake so it is used very often.

I am there several times a day!
choppie70 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tiamat

Old 06-03-2021, 03:17 AM

No, no and no. Never even seen one.
Tiamat is offline   Reply With Quote

juliet4

We have a huge attic in our new condo
Old 06-03-2021, 03:37 AM

Plus a garage. No basement!
juliet4 is offline   Reply With Quote

readerleader

Florida - Just an attic
Old 06-03-2021, 03:54 AM

Basements and cellars are not an option in most of Florida. We never go in our attic unless there is a problem. I don't store stuff up there because it is too hot.
readerleader is offline   Reply With Quote

Cat woman

If you donít have a basement
Old 06-03-2021, 04:18 AM

where would you go during a tornado?

We have a tiny attic type storage above our attached garage. It has mostly fence materials in there I think. DH is the one usually that gets things from there. Access through a door in the ceiling. He never really walks up there— just reaches from standing on the ladder.

We have a large basement because our home is a single story ranch style. It has our furnace/ac, water heater, and water softener. Full bath with a sauna as well as all of our exercise equipment, two freezers, and a large tv.The litter boxes are located there. We store our patio furniture,bikes, golf clubs, and some plants down there in the winter. It serves as my pantry and storage area for seldom used items. Right now it is in severe need of cleaning which I plan to do in a week or two. While it is not technically a finished basement it sort of has “designated” areas.

We go into the basement many times during the day to either exercise or get things.
Cat woman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tori58

Old 06-03-2021, 04:50 AM

What was originally the attic space in my house has been finished into a bedroom and bathroom on one side. The other side is a big attic closet for storage. There are bookshelves along the hallway leading to the bedroom and most of my books are stored there. Of course, it's accessed by a staircase so I go up there all the time. There are crawl spaces I've never been in, though.

My basement is also finished on one side. The previous owners had a rec room and a bar down there. I kept the rec room but the bar area is now for crafting and storage. The other side is storage and laundry. I go down there all the time. In the summer, sometimes I'll choose to go hang out in the rec room rather than turn on the AC. It stays cool down there all summer.

A decent basement was a priority for me when I was house hunting. I had lived in many places that either had no basement/cellar or one that was so yucky that, when the tornado warning would sound, I'd have to take a moment to consider whether I might rather get blown away than go down there!

ETA: The options can be varied for people who don't have basements. Usually you go to an interior room, hopefully without windows, or take cover under a staircase, if you have one. In some situations, there may be a communal shelter area. For instance, I lived in a trailer court for a while that had a tornado shelter under the laundry. I lived in a small community for a while where most people didn't have basements. In that community, the local church would open their basement.
Tori58 is offline   Reply With Quote

ICrazyTeach

Old 06-03-2021, 05:01 AM

We have an attic, but it's not one we can really store anything in. I think the last time anyone was up there was close to 15 years ago when I had a fan installed in the bathroom. Access is through a closet.

We have a basement that is used all the time. DD's "room" is down there and a play space for the kids. There is also a laundry room, work room, and lots of storage.
ICrazyTeach is online now   Reply With Quote

bellringer

house parts
Old 06-03-2021, 06:28 AM

I have an attic that you need a ladder to get to the "hole" in the hallway ceiling. There is nothing up there except insulation.
The basement is like another story of the house. Many people here completely finish it. Mine has a family room with fireplace (that needs to be remodeled), laundry room, and is plumbed for a 3/4 bathroom. I could have an egress window installed, and then it would be able to be used as a fourth bedroom.
bellringer is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Attic, etc
Old 06-03-2021, 06:29 AM

Houses in California rarely have cellars. We have a loft over the garage that is used for storage: camping equipment, boxes of memories, coolers, occasionally used dish ware. It can only be accessed by a 12 foot ladder. I go up there all the time.

When we did the addition 20 years ago, we finished off a section of the attic. That is accessed by a pull down ladder (which GS adores). All holiday decorations are there and take up one complete side. The other side is mostly stuff my now adult children have been holding on to. Iím ready to clean that area out. And, again, Iím up there a lot.
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Luvetc3

Old 06-03-2021, 06:44 AM

We have 2 attics and a basement. The attics are not used frequently. The one in the house is has a very narrow access and the only reason dh was in it last fall was to repair the attic fan which is right at the access point. There is also an attic in the garage. DH may have stuff stored there, but we've sealed it off with plastic since we heat the garage in the winter.

The basement is semi finished and used daily. DS has his room down there. I work out in the family area. The laundry is down there and most of our storage as well.
Luvetc3 is offline   Reply With Quote

anonymouse

attic and a basement
Old 06-03-2021, 01:06 PM

I have an attic and a basement. The basement is where my washer and dryer are and is also full of junk I need to get rid of. My attic is empty.
anonymouse is offline   Reply With Quote

sportsmom88

Old 06-03-2021, 01:07 PM

We have an attic but it doesn't have a floor, just beams and insulation, maybe that's not a real attic? Our basement is finished, dd's room was down there, full bathroom, family room, dh's man cave room and a storage room with the furnace. We live in Iowa and a finished basement for tornadoes was my number 1 necessity in a house.
sportsmom88 is offline   Reply With Quote

klarabelle

Old 06-03-2021, 01:32 PM

I have an attic that is accessed from the hall by pull down stairs. It stores decorations and stuff I can't tell you about since I haven't been up there in probably 20 years. I have stopped decorating so my nieces don't go up there. It now houses something to do with my HVAC so I know someone is in it at least 2xs a year. The exterminator also goes up there.

I also have a crawl space under my house. Nothing is stored there, the door is on the outside of the house. There is cable wires there and water pipes. I know 1 week ago the plumber was going under there but when he opened up the door he found 3 mice, so he'll come back after exterminator

Growing up my room was in the attic. The steps was through my parents bedroom closet. It was a nice big room. around the perimeter were storage closes my dad built. A great walk-in closet was created too. My parents also had a basement. Its the laundry area and storage. Its a definite basement with a low ceiling.
klarabelle is online now   Reply With Quote

Marriedin79

None of the above ... wanna know why?
Old 06-03-2021, 01:43 PM

We live in Florida where the water table can be as close as 6 feet below the surface. If we had a basement it would actually be an indoor pool.
Marriedin79 is online now   Reply With Quote

hiker1

Old 06-03-2021, 02:11 PM

I have a full unfinished basement where I store things. The furnace , water heater, laundry and a " summer stove are down there. A lot of houses around here have stoves in the basement. Since this was before air conditioning, many of the houses had stoves in the basement because it was too hot to cook upstairs during the summer. I also have a walk up attic. Half is finished and I use it as my office. The other half is storage.
hiker1 is offline   Reply With Quote

rana712

We have an
Old 06-03-2021, 04:47 PM

attic and a basement. The attic is used for storage- not much in there since we have begun preparations for downsizing. The basement is used for laundry. Also has the hot water heater, the furnace, the freezer and the oil tank. I go into the attic rarely and into the basement nearly every day!
rana712 is offline   Reply With Quote

MKat

Old 06-04-2021, 06:23 PM

We have a tall crawlspace on the backside of our house since we live on an incline. We built in an exercise/storage room down there that we access from the backyard. It's been a few weeks since I've been down there. When our house was fuller, I went down more regularly. It was nice to have a spot to get away.
MKat is offline   Reply With Quote