Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

I didnít realize so many people were against the vaccine

>

AndSoItIs

I didnít realize so many people were against the vaccine
Old 08-16-2021, 08:36 AM

In my community and circle of friends and family members, most people are vaccinated. I didnít realize so many people were so dead set against the vaccine. I understand being unsure.
Iíve been reading comments on tik Tok, YT, and IG. People are putting some crazy stuff out there about how itís a bio weapon, mass experiment, etc. One person said Covid was created for the vaccine. People are calling it the death jab. This is all borderline Flat Earth conspiracy stuff.
Do you know people like this? Itís hard to believe so many people feel this way.

AndSoItIs is offline   Reply With Quote

rusty

Old 08-16-2021, 08:55 AM

Yes....there is a lot of trash out on the Internet. It's a shame because we're not getting a handle on this virus. I wish people would believe scientists instead of politicians.
rusty is offline   Reply With Quote

ICrazyTeach

Old 08-16-2021, 08:57 AM

One live in my house He is an idiot.

A friend's husband has told her he will quit his job if they require the vaccine. She told him to move out.

Both of those men have taken their own children to get vaccinated. So they obviously do not seriously believe it is dangerous

Another friend's son refuses. She's not sure how much is him buying into conspiracies and how much is him just being an 18 yo pushes his mom's buttons.
ICrazyTeach is online now   Reply With Quote

PoohBear

Old 08-16-2021, 09:01 AM

Almost everyone I know from my generation (ie 60+) is vaccinated, even those who are politically conservative. Most of the unvaccinated people I know either think they donít need it (I have a good immune system ) or are generally distrustful of the govt/medical profession.

I was just reading an article about how vaccine conspiracy theories are as old as the first vaccine. Because the smallpox vaccine was made using cow pox virus there were viral (for the times ) articles/pictures showing people turning into half cow/half personóhonestly no less wild than some of the things weíre hearing now.
PoohBear is offline   Reply With Quote

jazzer

Old 08-16-2021, 09:15 AM

I saw a story on Inside Edition last night about this in relation to a movie Will Smith just did that is about someone finding a cure for cancer in the form of a vaccine. Everyone who got the vaccine turned into a zombie.

People were believing this was real and deciding not to get the Covid vaccine. Here is a quote from the writer of the movie.

ďI made it all up, it isnít real. 166 million people have gotten the vaccine. Zombie count 0.Ē

jazzer is offline   Reply With Quote

AndSoItIs

Old 08-16-2021, 09:19 AM

Yea that person was relating it to I Am Legend where scientists manipulated the measles virus as a cure for cancer. The covid vaccine has no virus in it at all. People are ridiculous.

Renea

Old 08-16-2021, 09:20 AM

There seems to be plenty of anti-vaccers in my area. The vast majority of my friends have been vaccinated but many vocal younger folks in my area believe in the conspiracy theories that flood the internet. My neighbor's DIL refused to be vaccinated, spent 14 days in ICU only to pass away. It's beyond sad that her death could have been prevented.
Renea is offline   Reply With Quote

letsgomets

What those
Old 08-16-2021, 09:20 AM

unvaccinated folks fail to realize is that they are part of the so-called "experiment". They are the control group and that's why they are getting sick and dying. The research for this type of vaccine has been around for a long time, but people don't want to hear about that. It doesn't fit their narrative.
letsgomets is offline   Reply With Quote

hand

Old 08-16-2021, 09:27 AM

I know of two people close to me that believe the conspiracy theories.
One gentleman in his late 50ís and obese, believes the zombie theory. I was shocked when I heard him say that. His whole family is vaccinated.
Another gentleman in his 60ís believes that COVID is not real. His whole family is vaccinated.

Then another gentleman in his 60ís who believed his religion would protect him, sadly passed away a few weeks ago.

I know that conspiracy theories have always existed, but I believe the internet has now put conspiracy theories on steroids.
hand is offline   Reply With Quote

AndSoItIs

Hand
Old 08-16-2021, 09:34 AM

This is so sad. Zombies?

And I have to address this or it will bother meÖ They werenít even zombies in I Am Legend and thereís no vaccine in that movie! Do these people also believe the earth is flat?

rachelmpd

Idiots
Old 08-16-2021, 09:46 AM

Before 2016, I didn’t realize how many racists, idiots, etc there are in this country. I knew we had them, but the last 5 years has shown me there are a lot more than I could have dreamed of.
I was disappointed that one of Gabriel’s friend’s mom is very much into all the conspiracy theories from Trump to the Vaccine. They moved about 2 hours away so we haven’t seen them in awhile, but she invited us. Not sure if we will ever go.
I for one got the Vaccine in December and still have not turned into the Zombie. How long before that happens?
rachelmpd is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 08-16-2021, 09:54 AM

Quote:
I wish people would believe scientists instead of politicians.
YES! YES! YES! Thank you, rusty.

Quote:
Do you know people like this?
I am proud to say don’t know (irl—I’m not talking about PT) 1 single person (of vaccination age) who is not vaccinated. Even friends whose political thinking is a far cry from mine believe the scientists and are vaccinated. Even my extended family in a low-vaccination-rate state is vaccinated—all of them (even the ones who are poorly educated and barely speak English).

I will say that I detest the anti-vaxxers and their enablers who are increasing the danger for us all. It is my impassioned opinion that the enablers are worse than the believers: grow some and tell your anti-vaxxers that you refuse to be around them until the CDC declares the pandemic is over.

Last edited by amiga13; 08-16-2021 at 10:21 AM..
amiga13 is offline   Reply With Quote

annie_g

Old 08-16-2021, 10:09 AM

This pandemic has taught us there are a lot of stupid, gullible people in the world. I'm over them. I can't wait for my grandson to be eligible for the vaccine.
annie_g is offline   Reply With Quote

jazzer

Old 08-16-2021, 10:12 AM

I didnít know there were no zombies in the movie because I never saw it. I was reporting on what information was given from Inside Edition. The commentator there described the plot. If that is the case, I wish the people on these shows would get their information straight so someone like me does not report misinformation.
jazzer is offline   Reply With Quote

AndSoItIs

Jazzer
Old 08-16-2021, 10:32 AM

I read about that too and that person did use the word zombie. People are just grasping at straws with these weak comparisons. The creator of the movie was really upset about that personís comment too. The movie is pure fiction. Why would someone think thatís whatís happening now? smh

wildflowerz

Old 08-16-2021, 10:33 AM

Luckily all of my friends and family are intelligent and believe science.

Unfortunately, I live in an area with a lot of Covidiots.

We were at the pool the other day and a man with his 4 kids said they all had Covid last month because they werenít vaccinated. I like when they reveal themselves. Then I know who to stay away from.
wildflowerz is offline   Reply With Quote

Ruby tunes

Anti-vaxxers
Old 08-16-2021, 10:44 AM

Iíve lost all patience with people who refuse to get vaccinated. If they get sick with COVID, I have NO sympathy. My sympathy is reserved for the overworked medical personnel who are dealing with the ongoing pandemic exacerbated by fools.
Ruby tunes is offline   Reply With Quote

Lottalove

I am in an area with lots of unvaxxed...
Old 08-16-2021, 11:04 AM

They run the gamut from anti-vaxxers in general, anti-government, anti-Covid/pro-hoax, to the stubborn (I don't want to be told to get it...)

My own mother refuses. I think it will take a close friend or family member's illness before she will succumb to the shot.

Just the other day, a friend of a friend was discussing it. He was trying to sound scientific and talked the line- "We don't really know what's in it..."

I reminded him that he smokes, drinks, takes meds from the vet supply, eats chicken gizzards from the truck stop, and dines at McDonald's on the regular... If he can survive all that, he can survive a vaccination shot.

He has voluntarily put sketchier stuff in his body every day for years.
Lottalove is offline   Reply With Quote

freckleface

wildflowerz
Old 08-16-2021, 11:16 AM

I love your term for the anti-vaxxers: COVIDIOT! That is so true! I live in an area where there are quite a few anti-vaxxers and there is just no convincing them otherwise> Covidiots!

You just can't fix stupid...
freckleface is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 08-16-2021, 12:12 PM

My brother has had Covid (at least once and probably twice) and he still wonít get vaccinated. His wife and kids are vaccinated. Heís an idiot.
GreyhoundGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

timeforbed

Relative is a covidiot
Old 08-16-2021, 02:09 PM

He is antivax and antimask. His mother, grandmother, sister, brothers have all tried to talk sense into him. It is met with scorn. He has two beautiful daughters under the age of five, a wife who follows his ideas. The family is dependent on his small income and the little his wife brings in by crocheting toys and selling them. He does not have life insurance. When he dies, the family will have to borrow money in order to bury him, and if his family doesn't die with him, they'll be moving into my cousin's home, his mother, because there will be no money.

Last edited by timeforbed; 08-16-2021 at 11:57 PM..
timeforbed is offline   Reply With Quote

klarabelle

Old 08-16-2021, 02:58 PM

One of my nieces and her SO are not vaccinated and they have 2 young children who cannot be vaccinated. Another niece is vaccinated, her job paid their employees $400 to get vaccinated. Her DH is not vaccinated and he works for the postal service. They say its too new of a vaccine and that its not serious. My DB isn't vaccinated either and he was treated for cancer. I have other family members who aren't vaccinated and the DS, SO & baby all had COVID. His mother says she doesn't know of anyone who has had COVID. Head in sand for sure.

I worry about the kids that can't be vaccinated because of their ages.My niece is also fighting no masks in school. I don't get it, she usually isn't so stupid. She does daycare, and is filled-up so I don't know how parents can knowingly send their children to her.

I can't believe all the people who are anti-vax/masks. Social media is no help.
klarabelle is offline   Reply With Quote

letsgomets

My son
Old 08-16-2021, 06:21 PM

will not get a vaccine. He is anti-medication for the most part because he blames us (for everything) because we had him take medication when he was younger. He won't take what he needs now, and he is a very troubled soul. I am terrified that he will get COVID and become very sick. I pray every night that he doesn't.
letsgomets is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 08-16-2021, 06:33 PM

My favorite theory right now is that the vaccine turns the recipient into a super spreader of the delta variant. He knows it is the case because the only thing two people he knows have in common is that they were around the same vaccinated person.

I just emailed one of only three things Iíve ever written to a representative. He said something absolutely stupid, and I had to call him on it. I also corrected his three grammar errors while I was at it.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

tchrrx

Old 08-16-2021, 08:00 PM

I didnít realize I had friends who hadnít had the vaccine. Unfortunately, I found out when they caught covid and were extremely ill. My daughter (vaccinated) had it at the same time. Her oxygen never got below 98, temp never over 101, and losing smell/taste was her only real symptom.
tchrrx is offline   Reply With Quote

MKat

Old 08-16-2021, 09:12 PM

I'm actually shocked there are people who don't know anyone who's unvaccinated. I live in a highly vaccinated area and know two people - my neice's husband and a friend's son. I'm guessing I'm acquainted with more, despite the fact that everyone else in my circle is.
MKat is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Spedtcher

Old 08-16-2021, 11:04 PM

I thought I lived in a highly vaccinated area. However, I am learning that about half of our staff is unvaccinated and fighting our vaccine mandate. Iím starting to get scared that we will have to close schools because of lack of staff.
Ima Spedtcher is offline   Reply With Quote

KingbirdQueen

Old 08-17-2021, 04:46 AM

My county is only 40 something percent vaccinated and the governor is getting ready to set up hospital hubs and several of our schools are closing for outbreaks.

Lots of people think their preteens and teens will become permanently infertile . Others believe it means you donít have faith in God if you get vaccinated because of one of the churches here. Others think the government is trying to kill everyone with it.

My husbandís job is also getting hit again because people refuse to wear masks. Three people died during the last outbreak . Itís a large facility, so it comes out to 1 percent of the staff died in the last one. They just excuse their deaths with something else. ďGuy A was old, B is an ex addict, C had a health problem.Ē On average, NO people die. Out of the ten years my husband has worked there , two people TOTAL have died while working there. One year an older gentleman died of cancer and it was a stunningly sad year. No one said ďeh, he had a health problemĒ and moved it along.
Another year a woman died in a car accident. A collection was taken for her family.But now all the sudden three in the span of a month is totally fine?!? No collections and itís not that sad?

People are still refusing vaccines and masks. They moved my husband to the other hangar that didnít get hit last time because he is vaccinated and had it . They think that means he wonít get it this time and they will still have a manager -type over there and feel the hangar he was at is fine because they all got it last time. Oh, ďI already had itĒ is the big excuse for not getting vaccinated over there. He is the only one wearing a mask. Everyone just explains to him the only reason he got Covid so bad is because he is fat. Thanks guys.

So yeahÖ everyone is pretty mean and disconnected over here. When we travel to the northern parts of my state itís like a different country.
KingbirdQueen is offline   Reply With Quote

BioAdoptMom3

Old 08-17-2021, 02:59 PM

I live in an area where a significant part of our population is unvaccinated, mostly due to the conspiracy theories they believe or because they just don't trust the vaccine. Unfortunately most of those people are also anti-maskers. Of course in FL our governor, Ron DeathSantis is no help. We actually have a mandate preventing counties, cities, school districts, etc. from issuing mask mandates. He has gone as far as to threaten these county chairpersons, mayors and school superintendents with a loss of revenue or even their own salaries.

Nancy
BioAdoptMom3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Alaska35

Yes
Old 08-19-2021, 05:34 AM

I am sad to say. I live in Arkansas-the west central part of the state. I couldn’t believe that so many people in my area are against the vaccines. Thankfully, the church we attend thinks differently. Almost all of us are vaccinated. We have have been very careful and conservative about meeting in person. We meet for one hour on Sundays, masks required, Zoom church for Wednesday night meetings.

I love the community where I live, however I have been so disappointed in the thinking of some of the people that live here.

Since the delta variant came into play, vaccinations have increased.
Alaska35 is offline   Reply With Quote