Senior Prank Gone Bad- Grads not allowed to walk across stage - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Senior Prank Gone Bad- Grads not allowed to walk across stage

>

tctrojan

Senior Prank Gone Bad- Grads not allowed to walk across stage
Old 05-23-2022, 06:01 PM

https://wpde.com/news/local/some-dar...g-senior-prank

If they did all that is alleged, I do not think the punishment is too severe. There was a great deal of damage done.

ETA: I do feel bad if they were given permission (bad choice on someone) and a few students to it to the extreme

Last edited by tctrojan; 05-24-2022 at 07:53 AM..
tctrojan is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 05-23-2022, 06:25 PM

I don't think it is too severe, either. They were INSIDE the locked and secure building. How did they get in there? If someone actually gave them permission, they need to say who it is and how they got access- that would be the only factor that would mitigate their guilt (and push it on to an adult who should not have given access).

My dd got caught on senior prank night and had to clean up. However, they did not break and enter anything- they did not cause any permanent damage to anything. They did not lose walking privileges either. They sprinkled glitter around the sidewalks...
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

PEPteach

Old 05-23-2022, 06:28 PM

Yeah, the remorse (assuming the article is correct) isn't there either.

Quote from a student:
Quote:
It was just a senior prank. All we did was put toilet tissue and saran wrap all around the school. But, the principal is trying to make it seem like its more than what it was,"
The actual damage:
Quote:
Cameras intentionally obscured with debris
Doors and windows egged
Chalk paint used to graffiti walkways, walls, and windows
Syrup and confetti spread throughout the buildings
Chocolate sauce poured on the walkways and tracked inside
Shaving cream sprayed in water fountains and on lockers, display cases, and windows
Trash cans containing food and milk turned over and garbage spread throughout the yard and buildings
Light poles, water fountains, and doorways wrapped in plastic wrap
The principal's office and the central office broken into and vandalized
A Falcon mascot headpiece removed from the display case and left in the courtyard with shaving cream on it
Feminine pads stuck to doorways, walls, and stop signs
Classroom furniture thrown down the hallway
Gym equipment and team water bottles removed from storage and thrown around the gym
Hand sanitizer dumped in the hallway
Various construction items brought on campus and left inside the building
In addition to the vandalism, several items and money were stolen from the main office.
I can see not letting them walk. They clearly were not thinking!
PEPteach is offline   Reply With Quote

Beach Glass

Senior Prank
Old 05-23-2022, 06:37 PM

I can understand the district's position.

However, I can see the argument for the students walking. I guess I would need more information. If the students have completed the requirements for graduating and thus walking, then I think the district is obligated to allow them. In other words, is their behavior outside the school day tied to completing graduation credits and thus walking? That would depend on the district and their policy. How is what they did any different from the same kids going to any other business in town and doing the same thing?

These students are definitely in hot water for this illegal activity. There should be civil and legal consequences. Also wonder how many of these kids are under or over 18. That can also make a difference.

I'm not supporting the students and their activity. Just trying to see it from a different perspective.

I live in a VERY rural area. A number of years ago, a bit farther south of us in my state and in a more highly populated area, some students let a handful of cows loose in the high school. They were in there overnight. Almost $100,000 worth of damage to carpets, dented lockers, bashed in walls. Definitely a prank that wasn't thought through.

Whatever happened to raising a bra up the school's flagpole? Probably too tame.
Beach Glass is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 05-23-2022, 07:27 PM

Wow, I'm definitely sensing very different stories. I'm not sure what to think. I wondering if one thing was planned and some students engaged in a whole lot more than was planned. I think senior pranks are dumb anyway. I can't remember if we had a senior prank when I was in high school. It sounds like there was actual damage done, which is hugely problematic.

GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote

apple annie

Old 05-23-2022, 09:25 PM

I think the district can and should disallow them from walking. A very SMALL punishment in my opinion. I don't think there's anything that says that schools hve to hold graduations or allow everyone to participate. They would still get their credits and dipomas, just no school sponsored celebration.

Also I would definitely expect the school and district to file charges. Play stuoid games, win stupid prizes.
apple annie is offline   Reply With Quote

Linda/OH

prank
Old 05-24-2022, 03:39 AM

Wow! I hope there are sufficient photos of the damage prior to cleaning it up, since the cameras were intentionally obscured. Also, I think one mistake was cleaning it up before school the next day. The students should have been responsible for that. It does sound like some students thought they were doing something silly but maybe others went way further? It is a complicated one. I'm inclined to believe they should not be allowed to walk in the ceremony. Accountability is needed.
Linda/OH is offline   Reply With Quote

timeforbed

Old 05-24-2022, 05:54 AM

I agree that it sounds like two different stories, and I agree that the seniors should have cleaned the mess up the next day.

However, questions have come up.
Which seniors did it? I hope they would not punish the entire class and not hold a graduation ceremony at all.

How did they get in the building? Aren't schools secured at night? Why not let it be known that police will be patrolling the school during that last week of class. There are so many other options that could have been done on the part of the school to prevent this. But it seems that they prefer to react instead of prevent.
timeforbed is offline   Reply With Quote

JanetL

Old 05-24-2022, 06:21 AM

Maybe the admins have had difficulty with this class before this event. Sprinkling glitter on sidewalks is a prank. What was done was destructive. I feel there should be severe consequences for whoever did this.
JanetL is offline   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 05-24-2022, 07:05 AM

The kids are almost adults and need to learn the laws now rather than later. If you are with a perpetrator during the commission of a crime you will be held to answer for that crime. It sounds as though there were a few kids who stepped over the line and went from pranking to criminal behavior. Unfortunately whoever let them into the building will probably have to answer for the criminal behavior too. I couldn't help but read the kid's remarks in a whiny kindergarten voice.The kid sounded so entitled .

anna is offline   Reply With Quote

Tori58

Old 05-24-2022, 07:47 AM

Quote:
If the students have completed the requirements for graduating and thus walking, then I think the district is obligated to allow them. In other words, is their behavior outside the school day tied to completing graduation credits and thus walking?
These are two different things where I'm at. Students can "walk" even if they are shy a few credits if they are signed up to complete them during the summer. But, they don't get a diploma until they've completed the credits. These kids will still get their diplomas but I don't see any reason in the world why the school should put forth the effort to provide them with a nice graduation ceremony.

I think this punishment is completely appropriate and I hope the school files charges. I can't believe that any administrator gave permission for students to vandalize the interior of a school or to steal money. And I can't think of any reason for anyone to exaggerate the damage.

I never fail to be flabbergasted at the behaviors some parents will defend. Do they think they're doing their children any favors to raise them to disrespect everything and everyone? If I were the parent of one of these students, and if the school didn't press legal charges, I would impose additional consequences because I wouldn't want my child to grow up thinking this sort of thing is okay.

ETA:
Quote:
Why not let it be known that police will be patrolling the school during that last week of class. There are so many other options that could have been done on the part of the school to prevent this. But it seems that they prefer to react instead of prevent.
Well, first you'd have to get your local PD to do this and they are not always willing. Plus, if I were an administrator, it would never occur to me that students could and would do this. TP the grounds? Saran wrap the doors? Sure. But this?
Tori58 is offline   Reply With Quote

TAOEP

Old 05-24-2022, 11:21 AM

I support not allowing the students who participated in the vandalism to walk across the stage at graduation. They will receive their diplomas, but not the celebration.

The district would be absolutely within its rights to file charges against those who vandalized the property to such a degree that classes had to be canceled. Furthermore, neither the taxpayers nor the insurance company should have to pay the costs. It's the responsibility of the students and/or their families.

I didn't notice any adults in the video, although the story said there were staff members present to supervise. I wonder what they were doing when things got out of control. Perhaps busy calling 911 for help.
TAOEP is offline   Reply With Quote

Ruby tunes

Destructive actions
Old 05-24-2022, 11:53 AM

These seniors trashed their school, and now they want to participate in the graduation?!? It’s time they learned actions have consequences. Would they like to have their homes treated in a similar way? Do they think custodians work for free?!? They don’t deserve to be a part of the graduation ceremony! They can collect their diploma at the office.
Ruby tunes is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 05-24-2022, 07:05 PM

Our high school is very clear that walking is a privilege, not a right. And I totally agree. That was not a prank, that was vandalism, and they shouldn't get the privilege to walk with their classmates. It's not like they aren't graduating - they still get a diploma.
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote